Nap makes her cranky?

For the past week my 21 month old dd has gone down for an afternoon with no problem. When she wakes up though she cries for at least 30 minutes even when you cuddle her. Has anyone ever had this problem with their kids? I was thinking a night mare maybe but everyday for a week? Any thoughts would be great!

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe she's needing more sleep/longer nap? Have you tried leaving her a few minutes to see if she falls back asleep? that would sometimes happen with my daughter. Or even if she didn't go back to sleep, she'd take a few minutes on her own in her bed before she got out of her groggy funk and was ready to be happy. I found if I went in to get her right away I was bound to have a whiner on my hands for awhile.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My guess is she isn't ready to get up yet. Leave her in there for another 20 minutes and see if she falls back asleep. Dreams will often wake a toddler mid sleep cycle but they'll usually go back to sleep on their own. If not that, then maybe she just needs a few minutes to wake up before being stimulated by you. I have to leave mine in her room for a little while until her tone changes (she often wakes up crabby and fussy but soon her mood changes to more upbeat/talking tone....then I know i can go get her.)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It is likely that she is waking at the wrong time in her sleep cycle. If her internal clock is telling her to get up, because she is hungry or wet or something, but her body needs more sleep, she might be confused and unrested. You can avoid this by changing the times she goes to sleep, when you feed her, WHAT you feed her, and other things.

Is she still taking two naps? It may be time to cut it down to one LONG one in the middle of the day if so, instead of one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I know its hard to decide to disrupt a routine once its established, but my son did the same thing for months before I figured out that he was ready to ditch the morning nap, and needed to eat immediately upon waking up to avoid the crying.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 1:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Try not waking her up , let her wake up by herself. maybe she needs a little more sleep.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2010