Food stamps pending for days...

My food stamp account has never had money or anything for over a month. I finally got ahold of the supervisor of my caseworker since I can never get ahold of her. She said my account is pending and that " the computer keeps spitting it out" so she said "just keep checking your card balance today, I'll keep sending it in and hopefully the computer will accept it"

I have been approved over a month ago- this is a year long process and I just can't keep doing what I'm doing to pay my bills, medical and feed my family.

The last MONTH we've been feeding just our daughter, or "dropping by" our parents houses at dinner time to join them. I can't keep doing this! I need this so bad but they can't get their shit straight!

This is my first time on any assistance- but I KNOW it doesn't take a YEAR to get foodstamps....or even 6 months.

What should I do? No one seems to be helping me... they say stuff- but nothings happening..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You just need to keep calling until it's figured out. It might even be best to go there and speak to them in person, you may be able to get emergency assistance.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• sounds like there is some error on their end in the submission. Your caseworker sounds like a lazy twit if she's just sending it back repeatedly without checking it to see what the actual problem is! Ask to speak to a supervisor or to get a new caseworker!

the time you are waiting is insane! the first time I was on them, it took about 3-4 weeks since it was paper forms and office trips etc. I just got back on them due to hardship, new state though since I moved. But I applied Dec 29th. Had my card & the FS on it Jan 8th!
    Anonymous

• i have changed case workers twice, spoke to the supervisor and she just keeps sending it in and hoping it goes through. We have gone up to the office multiple times.

We applied the first time March 2009- we never recieved anything, not even a date for the interview. We had to reapply in Sept 2009 and finally got a letter for our interview for Dec 23rd 2009. We were told to go up to the office, finger prints, bank statement..etc.- we did that the next business day they were open in 2009. We got our card that day too.

So we've had our card since end of Dec 2009 and it's Mid Feb 2010 and we've never had anything on it.

We went up to the office last week- had to change case workers- she said this was her number one priority and to expect money on the card by Monday (last monday) We finally got a letter in the mail saying we're approved and how much we'd get each month last week....still no money on the card....
    Anonymous

• Alright. We waited for over an hr at the office to talk to someone about it and she said "your account is active as of this morning...it can take up to 24hrs after that to get money on your card" I asked if she was certain I would get it in 24hrs, I need it and can't be wasting my gas to drive out this far. I was all prepared to sit there until this was resolved. Calling doesn't work.

She said "I wouldn't lie, it will be there" - 2 days later- NOT THERE!! This lady even called to check the balance on my card and it said ZERO.

So, I guess we're going up there AGAIN. I called the help line and finally got an answer, BUT she said it was still pending and not even active! and that she couldn't help me..

According to everyone in the office- I've had foodstamps for 6 MONTHS! I will be getting backed foodstamps for all those months. I haven't gotten not ONE CENT yet. And, I have to reapply if I want to continue.
    Anonymous

• I dont undertsand it either. The same thing is going on with me. I applied for food stamps back in July and recieved my card within a week. And once i activated it the money was on their. And after that month the money has not been added. I filled out all the forms. Called everyday and even went up to the office in person. Still nothing. They told me that they recieved my paper work and that its still pending and all i can do is wait it out. But im broke. I live with my brother and we pay 180 a week. Split everything. I dont work anymore and neither does he. Its hard trying to make ends meet. And every person i talk to tells me different days that my food stamps will arive on. first someone at the office told me the 3rd then another person told me the 9th and now someone today told me that they should have been their on the 7th. UGH! Im so frustrated. Coming up with money to pay for food for 2 people and paying rent.
    aforeman1988

Answer by aforeman1988 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010