Forward facing before 1.

Can you forward face if your child is the weight limit but not even 1 yet. My son is 15 lbs at 4 months old and i'm sure within the next few months he will be past the limit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was not looking for drama. I told her what I did. Seems like everytime I post something in the Q&A sections I get bombarded with PMs and I didn't want anyone wasting their time sending me any PMs about this question. Drama only exists where people let it. No one said anything about what I said except you, PP. The OP was asking a question. I answered it with my experience. I have 5 children and been in a few accidents where I was rear ended. My FF and RF children were unharmed. I have a life and I have no need to cause drama on CM. Thanks though!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• no, you can't. my daughter is a fattie baby so i got for her the graco snugride32. the limit on that is 32lbs. and 32 inches. you could also get a convertable seat, but that's just a carseat, not a carrier too. but the weight limit on that is 100lb.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• No it is illegal despite what your doctor says it is not 1 year OR 20 lbs, it is 1 year or until 20 lbs.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• In my state the law is 1 year old AND 20 pounds. They have to hit both before you can turn them. My kids were chunky and hit the weight mark before 1yr so we bought a convertable car seat that went up to 35 pounds and at 4 my daughter finally out grew it and we got her a five point booster seat that will fit her until 65 pounds.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• NO you CANNOT! Please join the carseat safety group and please do not ff your baby that young! It's not safe! The AAP now recommends that all babies should RF until age 2 and 30 lbs! there are many seats out there that can accomodate a bigger baby!
    Anonymous

• lord, do you have a death wish for your baby?!? That is insane... my 18mth old is still rear facing and I had his sissy's forward facing only carseat in the house cleaning it, and I put my baby in it for shits n giggles and it looked ridiculous! You should NOT forward face before 1 year and you should really rear face until ATLEAST 2 years and 35 lbs!!!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It's illegal, and unsafe. And, studies have shown it's safer to keep your child RF past the minimum 1 yr and 20 lb. If this is your first, you may not know much about the subject. I would suggest doing some research on car seats and such, as I think you will learn a lot.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Princessbeth, not all, or even many, convertible seats go to 100 lbs, and the ones that do usually only harness to between 40 and 80lbs, and then you need to use it as a booster to get all the way to 100 lbs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• A regular WalMart carseat will RF until 35 pounds. So, you can put your baby in a convertible seat when he is too big for the pumpkin seat. I turned all my kids 1/20. Don't bother bombarding my in box w/ anything I will not read it. Thanks :)
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• As a matter of fact I turned my oldest around at 7 months and the POLICE department installed the seat for me. And ::GASP:: he has survived so far to the ripe old age of 8. The rest of the kids were turned at 1/20.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010