41 weeks and got my membranes stripped...

I'm 41 weeks and got my membranes stripped at about 4:30pm today. I'm 1 to 2 cm dilated my doctor said. How quick will the membrane stripping work? I have been really crampy since i left my doctors, its now 7pm. If you got your membranes stripped how long did it take for you till your water broke? How long should it take till my water breaks?

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It never worked for my SIL all three times.
    Anonymous

• don't just think your water breaking means labor.

I have 3 kids and NEVER had my water break naturally!
    Anonymous

• I had my membranes stripped with both pregnancies and it didn't do anything either time. I was induced a week later with both kids.
    emma-n-abbi

Answer by emma-n-abbi at 10:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• When my doc stripped my membranes it didnt send me into labor......and also the doc has had to break my water with both pregnancies. Good luck
    Anonymous

• Stripping membranes has nothing to do with water breaking. You could go into labor tonight but not have your water break, you could go another week and not have either happen. Just quit dwelling on it and asking 5000 questions a day, live your life and when your baby's ready he or she will come - and if he/she doesn't, your doctor will induce you.
    Anonymous

• Right~ water breaking is not necessarily related to stripping the membranes.

The water never *needs* to break, babies can be born in the intact sac. If you're having your membranes stripped you can expect something within a day or two IF it is going to be helpful.

I also agree that there is no reason to force things, adding unnecessary risks.
    The baby will still come no matter what you do.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• didn't your doctor give you info on this? i'm really amazed just because you seem so misinformed about the whole process.

it sounds like you think it's a 100% thing that this will put you into labor. i think it works in more like 10% of cases.... also you water doesn't need to break before labor begins (the water only breaks before active labor in like 10-20% of pregnancies), and that's not the purpose of having membranes stripped. they think having your membranes stripped works (in some cases only!) because it triggers hormones that might trigger labor. it can be an effective way to start labor, though, so it might work. of course, you are 41 weeks so it could also be that you were about to go into labor anyway. here is a really good link on it.

http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab000451.html

i don't mean to be rude i just can't believe your dr didn't give more info, or at least your pregnancy book
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• here is the conclusion from that link btw

Authors' conclusions

Routine use of sweeping of membranes from 38 weeks of pregnancy onwards does not seem to produce clinically important benefits. When used as a means for induction of labour, the reduction in the use of more formal methods of induction needs to be balanced against women's discomfort and other adverse effects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2010