my son is 21months and my concern is , he's not saying as many words as i thinkhe should be saying. he says, dog, mama, bread,( but not clearly ) bird ( but not clearly) and bottle, but not clearly more like ba, ba, should he be talking better than that? he will make 2yrs in may. i know of a child that is almost 2 herself and is putting two words together and talking a little better than my son. she goes to nursery school and my child does'nt could that be the reason ...please help!

dorey13

Asked by dorey13 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't get bent out of shape about it.... boys are much slower to begin talking than girls.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• All kids are different when it comes to talking. My first daughter was talking sentences before she was 2 and the second didn't start talking more than a few words till she was 2 1/2 and then she started talking like crazy! I don't think you have anything to worry about. Give him time and try not to compare him too much to other kids his age. They all develop and learn at different paces.
    emma-n-abbi

Answer by emma-n-abbi at 10:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't worry but would make sure you provide a language rich environment for him. Talk to him, read lots of picture books to him, sing songs, etc. When he says ba-ba for bottle, say " oh, you want the bottle?" and so on. Repeat back to him the words he's trying to say to you in a complete sentence. Play games with him like hide and seek, etc. He'll pick up lots of words quickly.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Never compare your child to another. I had one kid who barely said any words at 2 & another one who spoke complete sentences at 2. And now both of them are teenagers & they both talk your ear off.
    Anonymous

• It probably isn't anything to worry about, but maybe you should have his hearing checked just to rule out any issues. You could even do a little test yourself..........situate your son so he can't see you and occupy him with some toys. Make a loud noise or call his name. Does he turn around when he hears you?

Again, probably nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to know for sure.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• talk to the ped at her check up about your concerns - but like everyone said, they all do it at their own time
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It is nothing to worry about. Like everyone said, kids all learn at their own pace, and they eventually do learn. My daughter didn't speak much until she was 3 and now she never stops!!!
    Anonymous

• One piece of advice...this is a mistake I made with my own child which I think contributed to her not speaking earlier than she could have. I always said everything for her. If she pointed to a cup and made a "grunt" sound I would know what she wanted and give it to her. That is just one example. I think if I had made her be more vocal she would have developed her speech sooner.
    Anonymous

• My son is 2 months older than my best friends son. Her son is putting up to 6 words together and after hearing a word once he can repeat it back. My son talks all the time too, but just not english. lol. (family joke, we call his "talking" yiddish). My DS also signs and uses about 15 signs on a regular basis. The thing is there is nothing wrong with your son. Boys normally don't talk till later and if they can it's mostly paroting. I can point out ten things to my son and name them and then a few minutes ask him to point to them and 9 times out of 10 he gets them all right. Don't worry with comparing your baby to anyone elses! they are all different, htnak goodness, b/c what fun would they be if they didn't surprise us?
    he will eventually start talking and when he does you prob will be looking fondly back on his mute days! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If you have any concerns, please call early intervention in your area and set up an evaluation. Mom's intuition is better than any dr! If you get the evaluation and there's no delay, then at least your fears are put to rest. If there is a delay, you will be so glad you caught it early and he will catch up quickly. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 7:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2010