How did you react when your 1 year old screamed in public?

My daughter is almost 14 months old. When she gets mad, her favorite new thing is to scream at the top of her lungs, as if we're "pinching" her, as we say. It sounds absolutely horrible. I know it's a normal part of her development, but I'm at a loss for what to do when it happens in public.

What did you do when your kids when through that phase?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it depends, if we're playing or doing something where they are out and about i threaten them with time out (usually a warning is enough, but i will and have done time out in many places. i tell them you don't need a corner for time out). if they are in a cart or somewhere restrained i just ignore them and they stop when they see it's not getting them anywhere.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My kids usually got whiny or cried but they weren't loud. They didn't scream. But when they got fussy in public,I would leave. EVen if I was in the middle of shopping, I'd leave. After a few times,I decided to only shop when their Daddy was home and stayed with them. It was too stressful to shop with fussy kids. It was also embarassing.
    Usually they were fine if they had a pacifier and a teething toy and a stuffed anuimal and when they were not hungry or tired.
    Anonymous

• If I'm at a grocery store, I'll tell my child they need to stop. If they don't I will stop my shopping and go home put them in their room. Or I'll walk to the car and sit there until they calm down.

Just always follow through with what you say. Reward good behavior, when she's good in the store or in public tell her, maybe trreat her.

Another thing you could do is just ignore it. Let her scream and continue on what you're doing if the child gets no reaction they may just stop there.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Well, it IS normal and it's awkward. If people were looking at me, I'd just tell them that she needed a nap. She might be tired of sitting in the buggy or hungry. I let DS snack on animal crackers or something when we are at the store. When he was that age, I would hit the toy aisle and let him play with a "new" toy while I shopped, and dropped it off when I was done, or even gave it to the cashier and said that we weren't buying it. BUT it had served a purpose.

I completely understand, caitxrawks. There have been hundreds of times that I wondered if the people watching the cameras at Walmart were dialing 911 while I shopped. Hang in there, it'll get better.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I totally agree with doodlebopfan .there on that one. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I know it's very embarrasing when you are in the thick of it. My kids were screamers~supreme! It had gotten to the point that I have actually taken my hands off the shopping cart as ppl pass by me,looking as my dd/ds was screaming. My los made it sound like they were being tortured but actually they were simply not getting something that they wanted. I remember telling them in a calm tone,I am sorry that you are not getting what you wanted,honey. I would say it so that ppl around me could hear. Then I would get the heck outta the store asap. These days,my los are 9 and 5 and I try not to take them w/me shopping when I don't HAVE TO. They still get out but I have the control and I don't torture myself.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My daughter is the same age as yours. She usually screams while we're eating out so I try to put her in my lap and shush her. If that doesn't work then we finish as fast as possible and leave. We no longer eat any where quiet with her because it's embarrassing and annoying to other people. I'm ready for this stage to be over!
    EMMYBEARSMOMMY

Answer by EMMYBEARSMOMMY at 1:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If I was out somewhere and I could not get them to listen then I would just head back to my car and drive around until they calmed down.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i have NEVER had that issue with either of my children. it's called discipline and letting them know what's acceptable and what's not. and that is not! i don't care what age it is. and i don't "bribe" them with toys to make them be quiet either. i do not negotiate with a child. i am the parent.
    Anonymous