1 year old sleeping - or not?

My son is 14 months and does not sleep good. I feel like I have tried everything but to no avail. He has never been a good sleeper, he has never slept through the night consecutively. He will go to bed at 8 pm and wake up around 5:30-6:00 am for the day. He will take one nap for an hour during the day. But at night, he will wake up 3-5 times, just to toss and turn or cry. Sometimes - depending on how tired I am - he will sleep with me and that doesn't change anything. Does anyone have any ideas? Or a child that went through this? Crying doesn't really work, he will cry and cry and if he does fall asleep he will wake up 10 minutes later crying again. Any thoughts?

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 10:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok.. do you have a good night-time routine in place? What's your routine look like?

It really is still within the realm of normal for a 1 year old to still be waking -- some babes wake (and need their mom) til they are 18 months all the way to 3 years old. Sorry! lol

I am 23 years old and still wake up twice at night to drink fluids. maybe he's thirsty.

Does he go back to sleep on his own sometimes or need you every time?
    Anonymous

• It's normal for children to wake up at night until they are 3. For all time and in most places in the world today human babies and toddlers nurse and sleep with their mothers. They have a symbiotic relationship and get on similar sleep cycles due to pheromones baby and mother can smell. The child will nurse at night and not much disturb the mother.

If the child wakes and the mother isn't there the child's cry brings mother. This is for survival and these behaviors are hardwired in the human brain.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• If you breastfed then Gailll clould have a point. If not then I don't know what to tell you , because mine slept through the night at that age , inless she felt sick. Maybe talk to your pediatrician and see what he or she saids.you could try and do.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• The routine goes that he gets a bath around 6, play time and relaxing til' 7:30 pm pick toys up and go to bed at 8. I try to read to him but he doesn't want to settle down, I used to read books all the time to him. He needs me every time, he won't go back to sleep otherwise. I give him water when he wakes up and he'll drink it.
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 1:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010