How do I make her stop??

DD is 14 months old and lately shes been like smacking me and swatting at me and I dont understand why..obviously it doesnt even come close to hurting lol since shes so little but shes been doing it to other ppl now too..I dunno what its all about and I tell her no and she just doesnt understand..she laughs at me..ive never hit her and no one else has..so where is she getting this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids learned it from their cousins and friends but I always put them straight in time out! They know that it is NOT acceptable to even try to hit someone. They still do sometimes :( I don't know if she is old enough to have time outs yet?? She is probably too young to understand that it hurts people. It is hard to break them of that once they learn it.
    emma-n-abbi

Answer by emma-n-abbi at 10:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• She has learned that this behavior gets a reaction! I would just physically stop her from hitting but do not look at her or respond by saying anything. She will learn that negative behavior does not get attention. Praise her when she plays nicely but don't give her attention for the slapping behavior. When she doesn't get a reaction she will eventually stop.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Why tell her no if she doesn't understand? Do something that stops the hitting. Change the situation. Move. Move the child. Prevent the situation.

Here is an article about avoiding saying no to toddlers to improve behavior.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

Here is an article about avoiding saying no to toddlers to improve behavior. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no Quoting Gailll

I totally agree with this. Every child does it and probably didn't learn it from cousins. She could just as easily be trying to stroke your face as you do hers, except that she not as gentle. It's like not hitting the animals, but teaching "easy, easy". Instead of saying "No hitting" or punishing her, just teach her to gives kisses or to touch softly. She's been on this planet for 14 months. How will she learn if you don't teach? :)  

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• How do you tell her, no to stop hitting? If you tell her in a gentle way she might not get it completely that its a no no to hit. try telling her ion a normal but serious tone of voice that its not nice to hit people and explain to her why.in a way that you think she will understand. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2010