How long do/did you read to your child/ren?

They say to read for at least 20 minutes a day to your kids. I used to read about 10-20 minutes a day to my kids. But now that i've started homeschooling i read 20-60 minutes a day.
Also, at what age did you stop reading to your children?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 10:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no idea how much time we spend. We usually read 3 books before bed or sometimes a chapter of a longer book. We're planning on homeschooling too. I don't remember where I heard it, but I wanted to say that I remember reading or hearing somewhere that one of the biggest mistakes parents make with reading is stopping reading out loud too soon. You should still read to them way beyond when they can read themselves. I've worked for a homeschooling family with 6 children for years, and their mom still has her 12 year old sit and listen. She will read chapters out of longer books now, or sometimes science type books. She has her older kids read to her younger kids a lot too. Even I love to listen, she finds some interesting books.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I don't as much as I should :(
    Anonymous

• i read probably 20 min + to them and i read to them seperately as well as together. they like books :) i will continue to read with them until they don't want me to do it anymore (you know, probably when they're teenagers or around there somewhere)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• usually 1 or 2 books or stories a day. sometimes i'll admit that i skip a day
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I used to read to my daughter about 15 minutes a day until she was about 6. Then for about a year she wanted to read to me instead (because she was excited about being able to read) so we did that. Since turning 8 though we do not read together anymore, at least not very often. She will sometimes read on her own, write in her diary, etc. but it is now something she does independently of me. I do miss it though. Makes me wish she was little again.
    Anonymous

• thanks mybella. i figured reading out loud, even to older children, was a really good thing because i remember my 4th grade teacher reading out loud to the class. Great books too! Like Summer of the Monkeys and others. And i remember loving it and how easy it was to picture the events playing out in my head because i wasn't so focused on trying to decipher the words.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My children are nearly 6 and 7, and we all like to take turns reading to each other. It's a lot of fun! We try to read a few books each night and more on the weekends when we have more time. We read in the mornings if we aren't rushed for school and nearly always on the way to school. It's a great way to get their gears rolling for school.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 3:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yeah reading out loud to them is really supposed to help with their enunciation of words and the development of their speech patterns. I read to my son for at least ten to fifteen minutes before he goes down for a nap and when he goes down for bed, right no it's just one story but when he gets too old for a nap I'll start reading more at bed time. And I'll probably continue until he asks me to stop, because it's my special moment with my little guy that I get to spend with him every day just the two of us.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• You should read to you child untill they are old enough to read to you. My son started reading last year and he reads a book to me and his little brothers then I read a book to them all. Then we read a chapter out of a longer story. Before that we read from 730 untill bedtime at 8 everynight. As many books that we could or sometimes just one long one. No matter how long or hard our day has been there is ALWAYS an extra min. for us all to unwind and relax with a good book. I also do Your Baby can read with my younger ones during the day. Love it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I read to my son for 15 minutes before nap-time and 20 minutes before bed-time. He's almost 1 year old.

I imagine I will be able to increase the length of time I read to him when he's older.. and it'll depend on his mood more.

I plan to read to him until he doesn't want me to read to him anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2010