has anyone used their maiden name or mother's maiden name for their child's middle name?

I'm thinking about it just because i want to keep the name in the family and to honor my grandparents. Its not a common name though or something you would normally use as a middle name. Would it be wrong to give a child a last name- middle name? The middle name would be Mccarthy by the way. We havent even picked names and don't even know the sex so i would just like to hear thoughts and would like to know if anyone else has done this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have a friend whose middle name is Brinkman because that was his mom's maiden name. His mom didn't have any brothers and that was the best way to keep the name alive.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I know lots of people that have done that.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• thats so cute! i dont see a problem with it at all.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• i dont think that would be too bad
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 11:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My daughter's first name is my mother's maiden name. It is a rather common name though (Taylor) but I think it is always fine =)
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I almost did- if my third was a boy, he would have had my maiden name as his middle name. I actually kind of wish I had done that, even when she turned out to be a girl, just to pass my own name down. And to have one of the kids 'match' me- I didn't hyphenate but I do use both names.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My oldest son has my maiden name as a middle name. I gave my youngest son my maiden name as his last name. My husband and I were going to divorce. He filed 2 days after the baby was born.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think that it's a good idea, I won't give it to my baby but I have brothers who will carry on my maiden name.
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I used my Mom's Mom's maiden name for a middle name.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• That's a neat thing to do if you can....it used to be a fairly common practice actually. We would have done that except the names were Steel, Van de Venter, Pint or Utley....none of which would make a good middle name...LOL.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2010