Ear Infections

Is there a way to prevent them? My 13 month old son spent 4 1/2 hours in the ER last night b/c he was screaming and crying non stop for 2 hours straight. He had went to immediate care on Saturday for pneumonia and I had them check his ears then b/c he had been pulling hard at them but they said he was fine. And then out of no where he had an ear infection and had to get shot in his leg of some strong antibiotics and some numbing meds to ease the pain. I always bundle him up good when we go out in the cold air including a stocking cap along with his coat with a hood. I don't always use a blanket to cover his head especially if we are just running in real quick to walmart or something. I felt so horrible that my lil guy was in so much pain and I couldn't help him. He doesn't drink out of bottle and does not ever get his sippy cup in bed to lay down with, only when he is up and walking or in his high chair.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Look up the connections between milk and ear infections. You may want to consider switching to soy. My daughter had ear infections constantly from the time she was a baby until she was 7. Then I stopped giving her milk and never one since. Seriously, just do some research on it. You may be surprised.
    Anonymous

• Do you clean his ears a lot? I know that's why I got an ear infection. My ears where to clean. I can't use Q-tips on my ears. I have to rinse them out after a shower with an alcohol and vinegar mix my doctor told me to use. Maybe in the tub he is splashing around, and water is building up in there? It doesn't take much I know that. I would ask your doctor what you can do to prevent this from happeneing. Maybe the mix would work for a child, but I'm not sure. What it does, is the vinegar cleans the ears, and the alcohol dries them. I haven't had a problem with my ears since, and that was well over a year ago. Before I always had swimmers ear or something, because of the lack of wax in my ears. Good luck with your little one, hope he feels better soon.
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• does he get soap in his ears at bath time? that can cause it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I try not to get water or soap in his ears when bathing him but sometimes it does on accident but I dry his ears out with the towel afterwards.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Use silicon earplugs when he takes his bath. It stopped my kids ear infections.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeed. You could try to relactate. If you have another child you know ear infections may be a problem and breastfeeding is important.

Avoid environmental tobacco smoke, day care centers, crowds, church, movies, and places where there are other children. My kids have immune deficiencies and we had to do this.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• chiropracter. im deadly serious. at least do some research on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I very much agree w/ the allergies thing. My oldest son gets ear infections from dairy and my middle son gets them from nuts. And yes chiropractic care can make a big difference too.

great book and easy read....
    No More Amoxicillin: Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections Without Antibiotics by Mary Ann Block
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My SIL works at a chiropracter and he is gonna be adjusted saturday...we have been talking about this for a while now because he has terrible allergies too. And Gaill sorry I don't plan to be pregnant anytime soon and my supply is already dried up :( I would love to breastfeed him again to build his immuninty but a second child is not in our budget just yet thank you for the advice...also anon 11:51 that is prob something i will have to look into getting b/c I have ear troubles all the time. Thank you everyone for the suggestions and comments.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I will have to look into that book...because my son always has respirtory issues everytime the weather changes :( the only good thing is i am on soonercare insurance which is a state insurance so it doesn't cost me to take him to dr
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2010