im 17 weeks today and kinda nervous

so i have to go to get an ultrasound done friday and have genetics counciling. but im not really sure what the genetics counciling is for. my baby is a high risk for birth defects.. does that have anything to do with my hcg levels? also is it possible they can tell me what im having?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know about the genetics counseling, but you can find out what you are having, I found out at 17 weeks with my first and 16 with my second.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I got a bad result on the triple screen so had to go in to the geneticist.
    They did an ultrasound that was way more indepth than any other I had ever had (this was baby #3) measuring tons of stuff, including the skin thicknesses. Pretty cool to watch actually, really enjoyed seeing her so much, but damn it hurt a lot from all the pressing and pushing to get the images they wanted.

Then the geneticist came in and took basically an entire family tree for any history of birth defects. Then she explained how things are passed down, then she explained my test results as to why I got sent to her.

healthy little girl :)

good luck! don't stress out too much like I did! I was a nervous wreck for the 2 months or so it took to get in to see the Dr.
    Anonymous

• Hasn't your doctor told you why you are in the high risk group (age, family history of genetic disease)?
    The ultrasound will be cool to look at, it's lovely to see your little baby as a person, yes they should be able to tell the sex as long as the little one behaves and lets them look (my 2nd would not let them look between her legs, GOOD GIRL!!! LOL)
    Whatever the risk is, your baby is perfect as she has been created,, it won't change anyrhing, but maybe if there are complications it is better to be forewarned so you can be prepared.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• just be sure to ask lots and lots of questions while you are there. i like to make a list of all of my questions, otherwise i forget half of them =) they *might* be able to tell the sex. they often can at 17 weeks but it's not a sure thing. good luck =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2010