Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


if my ex didnt not sign the birth card at the hospital, couldnt in turn my bf adopt her? her real dad had pretty much nothing to do with her, and would i have to change her last name to mine before we could? she currently has her real dad last name. he doesnt pay child support or help out in anyway.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • You just have to file it through the court but you need proof that you tried to get the birth father to sign his rights away first, and if he doesn't come forward they will do the adoption and then you can change her last name.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

  • the birth father needs to sign away his rights. last names have nothing to do with anything. most people do not realize you can give your child anylast name you so choose. it is tradition for a child to have the fathers last name or more recently the mothers but you could give your kid anylast name you choose

    Answer by mom2snsb at 10:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

  • Your bf needs to keep in mind if he winds up on the birth certificate, he is legally responsible for her as any natural parent would be. Is he ready to make that commitment? What if the two of you part ways?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

  • yes he loves her with all his heart, and were having a baby together in aug. i wouldnt mind him having her or the new baby for visits if we every broke up or things didnt work out. and i wouldnt make him pay for her or anything seeing that she wasnt his. there is no father on her BC paper it said unknown. he through the papers out as we walked out of the hospital and never said a word about it. hasnt paid for a single thing since she was born or even offered.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
child support

Next question overall (Beauty & Style)
dress size?