breastfeeding trouble

baby screams and cries when i put my nipple to her mouth, she is hungry but doesnt take the boob right away, scream - console - scream - console then i have to force her head to face me because she will latch and turn her head away, ripping my nipple out of her mouth.

what is going on???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething??
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Not enough to go on here. How old? Has she been doing this from the start? Has she had any bottles?

First possibilities that come to mind are overactive letdown or nipple preference. Both quite beatable.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Also I found it helped to take mine to the chiro after birth. They can have their neck out of line passing through the birth canal and such... but ya we need more info and most peds will offer lactation consultants if all else fails but some of them are a little too harsh with my newborns for my preference.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• the only things i can think of are that your let down is flowing too fast or your nursing on one side too often, their necks can get sore if they spend too long on one side. Also have you used perfume or body spray? a new soap? It is possible that if used any type of srapy and it got on your breast it is bothering baby, its been awhile since i had to deal with this and no other possibilites come to mind right away.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Real quickly, you should be feeding her before she starts crying.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Sounds lke nipple preference or overactive letdown to me, too.

No more bottles if you're giving them.. you have to be more stubborn than the baby..

And if it's overactive letdown try other positions (like side-lying or partially lying) or pumping til you get a stream and stop after the main stream is pumped and then latch baby on. Block feeding as well.

I would go to the webpages you were given, too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• And what whiterose said.. are you waiting til she cries to feed her?? Don't. Look up hunger cues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• OK!!

No, i do not wear perfume or body spray or wash my boobs with anything

baby is 3 mo old, last time she had a bottle OF BM was early December

No chiro!!

I thought maybe her neck hurts but she turns her head away from the boob on each side so it can't be that

NO i don't wait until my baby cries to feed her, she cries WHEN i try to feed her

if anything i think i might just be offering to feed her too often? but she's been eating every 20 minutes to hour, i haven't left the house for NOTHING in three months.

I have the kellymom site memorized.

she has been latching and pulling for a couple weeks now and it is downright PAINFUL
    Anonymous

• it might be teething :( its so early though
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010