HE NEVER STOPS YELLING!!

my son absolutely LOVES to yell and scream, whether its for fun or because he's mad. but its extremely aggravating. nobody can talk on the phone or even watch a tv show because he's SOOOOO loud. and he's been doing this ever since he could talk. and every single time he yells i tell him i dont like when he yells, or im not going to play with him if he yells. but it doesn't work! what in the world am i supposed to do!? it's a constant headache, every single day!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What I do with mine, whether they are screaming for fun or tantrum (there is a strict inside voice rule on our home) I make him go sit facing a comer. It is not so much time out, but gives him that time to calm down. I ignore my child if he starts screaming louder bc he does not want to be in there. But he learned quickly that I was not giving in and he stopped screaming. He did not like being away from the family and being ignored (I put him in a far corner from the family, but of course were I could watch him) so it was not a pleasant thing for him to do. He got bores and felt it was not worth the time being away to start screaming. Each time he would tell my that he was done screaming I sat down with him and told him that i love him but I will not tolerate the screaming. And I asked him not to scream again Of course he is still young, but this rarely ever happens anymore.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 2:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I send my daughter to her room. The trick here is that you must be consistant. If you are not, your son will not take his punishment serious and will definately not take YOu serious. Be consistant, send him to the corner, or to his room or take away his favorite toys for one day. What ever works. .it could be as simple as taking away his favorite desert or not allowing him to play outside. You have to find what works for you. It might take one hundred time outs, but that one hundred and one will be worth it. good luck.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 2:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• A friend of mine had a son who liked to yell. He yelled all the time, even when simply asking for something. What she did when he yelled was tell him calmly and quietly that she could NOT hear him when he yelled and did not respond to him. It wasn't long before the yelling stopped because the little guy wanted his mom to HEAR what he was saying.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Just thought that perhaps you might want to have his hearing checked too, just to rule out a possible problem. People with hearing problems often speak very loudly without realizing it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:46 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• get hearing checked. then when he yells, he goes to time out. he will spend a LONG time (like many times a day) there at first but i bet he doesnt even know he is yelling. but you are really helping him because when he goes to school, even prek ... that behavior cant continue...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My dd is 3 and the same way. She is also spirited so it takes alot of work to get her voice quiet. I play "Radio." We're both radio's, set to really high volume. We sing loudly and then say "Somebody turn the power down please!" Then we get quieter. So anytime she gets too loud, I say "You have a lot of power in you my little radio, but its way too loud so please turn the power down." Just get creative with this. A lot of days, I play "The GREAT SUPER CLEANUP RACE!" to get her to clean her toys. Everything needs to be a game to them at this age cuz they're still learning even though they're still little. I still have to figure out how to stop her from jumping on the couch. :-/
    CoolMommy86

Answer by CoolMommy86 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2010