Learning a foreign language in HS?

Does it bother you that you/your kids are /were required to learn a foreign language in H.S??? In a a group I belong to a woman was complaining about her kid (3 yrs old) that will HAVE to learn Spanish when in HS?? So does learning a foreign language bother you??? After all English is NOT the official language of the U.S.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• A foreign language (especially Spanish) proves INVALUABLE in the workforce. Just imagine how many jobs you could get if you spoke Spanish. My husband is a native Spanish speaker, and he could get a plethora of translation jobs if he knew where to look. He might just have to take a terminology class or two, but that's about it. The people who have the most potential for success know more than once language, or at least know enough of another language to get by. My daughter will grow up in a bilingual household, and I'm going to minor in Spanish in college. I took two years of Spanish in high school. Kids complained all the time there too. But they were idiots who didn't want to put forth the effort. The ones who complained didn't study and didn't even TRY. Luckily Spanish came naturally to me, and when I'm brushed up on terms I speak it quite well. But some people just don't give a shit.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No it is part of what makes a well rounded student, at least that is what i think. There are many languages to choose from most schools offer 2-3 generally it is french, spainish or latin. Kids might as well get used to it once you hit college you have to do it all over again unless you took the college equivalent classes in high school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:03 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Does it bother you that you/your kids are /were required to learn a foreign language in H.S???

No, it doesn't.

In a a group I belong to a woman was complaining about her kid (3 yrs old) that will HAVE to learn Spanish when in HS??

I can see why... the 2 high schools I attended  offered different languages but you HAD to have half a semester of Spanish in order to graduate. That is ridiculous. I think being required to take a second language is fine but to make Spanish mandatory and all other languages elective is not right. I had to take Spanish and I then I took ASL as an elective. It doesn't make sense to make Spanish a mandatory language.

After all English is NOT the official language of the U.S.

Actually I would say it is. All of our road signs are in English, our schools and text books teach
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Con't
    Teach / are in English, you HAVE to take the written drivers test in English, etc. etc. So yes English is the official language of the U.S.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Taking 2 years of foreign language in high school (and passing them) is part of what proves you are not a complete moron. Is that perhaps what she's worried about?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:13 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My kids have been learning spanish in school since kindergarten
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• LOL! I graduated from high school in 1986, and had my choice of taking either Spanish or French starting in 6th GRADE--ALL the way through high school! I chose Spanish (because it was easier than French LOL), and I even took a year in college. After EIGHT years of Spanish (and being able to read, write and comprehend fluently at the time), I had the native Spanish speaking equivalent of a 3rd grader! LOL :o)

I wouldn't "freak out" because your child would be required to learn the Spanish alphabet, days, months, and numbers and basic grammar (pronunciation and articulation)!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Why would you be upset at the prospect of the beneficial second language? and by the way ENGLISH is the official language of the US!

Answer by older at 8:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• From junior high to high school to college, I have studied French, Spanish, Latin, and Italian. I loved every minute of the learning. Foreign Languages have helped in my career, my travels, and I hope I am passing that on the excitement to take on a new language, new subject, ect. to my kids.... My brother studies Japanese in college and now he works for the USAF in Tokyo. Great job. It never hurts to learn new things.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We learned French at our school, starting in pre-K...the high school kids came and taught us about an hour a week through sixth grade.

I think we should start at pre-K but it shouldn't be Spanish. Let's NOT learn the language of the people invading us, okay?
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:03 AM on Feb. 17, 2010