If your 6-year-old through a dress shoe at their younger sibling and it smacked that sibling in the face, what would you do?

The sibling is a year younger.

Comfy

Asked by Comfy at 2:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would make her explain why she did it, and have her apologize to the sibling and maybe time out of take something way.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Invite them to the naughty spot and ask them to apologize when they feel contrite.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• after i made sure the younger one was okay.....I would make my child pick up the shoe and explain that we DO NOT THROW THINGS explain that people get hurt and that is not a okay way to express themselves, show them that they hurt their sibling, typically i make my kids repeat back to me what i said and then i ask why they are not supposed to throw, then make them apologize to their sibling and give them a time out. The dress shoes would be taken away and put where only mom can get to them to reinforce the point.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:14 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I misspelled "threw" *sigh* what a night!

Thank you ladies. For most infractions I do just that... put her in the corner or on the wall for a given amount of time and afterwards explain why she was on the wall and have her tell me why her behavior was bad and then make her apologize. But this was an aggressive behavior that did hurt her sister tremendously. How do you deal with a child who is doing things that are more serious than simply putting them on the wall? We're not dealing with a child who doesn't know throwing a hard-sole dress shoe is bad, lol, she's nearly 7 and definitely knows what's she's doing is mean.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 3:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'd check the 'injured' child and make sure she is ok. Then I would tell the other child that We don't throw shoes and put her in a time out. After time out I would calmly talk to the child and ask why she threw the shoe, and explain to her that what she did was wrong, and could have hurt her sister.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Ask her how she would feel if a show were thrown at her. Let your dd see just how it would feel and it might make her have empathy for her sibling. AND I would ground her big time.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• What I learned by answering the questions I'll ask you is that I have all the parenting answers inside me that I look for from others.

What is it exactly that you think your daughters should or shouldn't be doing? I assume, "The 6 year old shouldn't be throwing shoes at the younger one." Is that right?

Cackie

Answer by Cackie at 11:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I bit my brother really hard one time at 5 and my mom leaned over and bit me. I never bit him again. It didn't stop me from pinching or pulling his leg hairs lol.. but I never drew blood again.

I'm with the show her how it feels mode of mind myself. She's old enough to learn empathy the hard way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I would spank her & put her in time out while lecturing her on the danger of throwing things at people.
    Anonymous