Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Grandparents go over the parents head...

My 16 yr old wanted to date an 18 yr old. To make a long story short, I found out that he'd dropped out of high school, had a crimimal record and currently has a restraining order against him from another high school girl.
I told my dauther she was not allowed to see him. The b/f buys her a cell phone. So, they've been talking for three weeks - I'd taken her cell phone away from her.
Come to find out, My father knew about the cell phone and allowed them to continue to see each other - My daughter goes to my parents home after school daily.
TO me, if I asked that my kids not drink soda & they delibertly go and buy them soda to drink - that's wrong.
I cannot get my daughter to respect my wishes, when my father is enabling her to go against me.
Any suggestions?


Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • Soda is one thing. Encouraging a CHILD to date a criminal is another thing. In my opinion, he just tore up his grandparent card. But I am sure that this isn't the first time he has done something like this to you and your daughter. I would be more furious at him then at the daughter, although I would not let her off. Take her to a jail, a women's shelter, a foster home. Because if she chooses the path with him in it, those three places are going to be in her future.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

  • You need to have a sit down with your parents and explain that they need to respect your wishes for your DD, but this BF of hers will bring her down and she needs that to be made clear to her she sounds like a good kid the problem here sounds like your parents. Have you ever meant this BF of hers maybe give him a chance to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2010