paying a child for good grades?

Comfy

Asked by Comfy at 3:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope I dont do it, they get to participate in other activities, if grades drop then the extra stuff stops, so far it has worked they get all A's and B's and i havent ever had to pull their sports or clubs. I guess that could be seen as payment I see it as learning to be responsible for their actions and knowing there are consequences if they do not maintain good grades.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• LOL i personally don't care too much about the grade rating. I want to read that they are polite and courteous, TRY at everything and are doing their best. An A-grade student who is disruptive and arrogant sucks. A d or c student who is genuinely trying their hardest is a pleasure in any classroom
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I personally believe paying a child for making good grades takes away the true enjoyment of making those good grades in the first place, which is true self-satisfaction. The struggle and the triumph over failure. My husband has a different opinion and thinks paying our child $1 for every 100 she brings home will encourage her to make better grades, plus the money goes into her college fund. I'm going to get her into a dance class and hopefully that will take the place of the money. The last thing I want my child to learn is how to do things for money.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 4:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'm in Australia so maybe I'm missing something... is the grade the absolute "be all to end all" ? If our kids are applying for jobs here, the employers also look at teachers comments to see if they attended daily, were they respectful, did they try their best, ?? I know many kids go to University, but many don't, for those who don't, how does the actual grade affect them? I am just thinking that as an employer I'd take more notice of the comments about their attitude and integrity rather than their test scores
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No. My kids are expected to bring home decent grades - they don't get rewarded for things I expect from them anyway.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We don't do it. We tell them we'd like at least a C average but A and B's, they get for themselves because they want to and can.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We don't. My kids are naturally competitive and always try to do their best. Last year all DD could muster in math were C's but she saw that all I cared about was that she was trying (and she was.) This year something clicked and she now gets A's in math. I am even more proud because all of her hard work has paid off and so is she. To be one of the best in the grade and the absolute youngest has her puffed up like a peacock and that alone is her reward.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Umm, I do. I give $5 for every A they get on their report card. I have six kids & 4 of them get A honor roll. The other 2 get A & B. I like to reward them for their hard work.
    yolandasix

Answer by yolandasix at 10:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If our kids are applying for jobs here, the employers also look at teachers comments to see if they attended daily

Report cards are not shown to employers here, if Teens want to work for the first job they have references from teachers or other people in the community and are typically hired based on how well they interview after that they are hired based on work history and interview .

The paying of grades has nothing to do with working some parents believe that paying your child to get a A or B will ensure they do their school work, personally I prefer my kids do it because they know its the right thing to do and not grow up thinking they should get some type of payment for doing what is already expected of them.

The idea is that we all hope our children will go on to college, Comments from teachers are great but if my child is getting a D but is "a joy to have in class" I would not be impressed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2010