How can i get my 9 years old boy to sleep in his bedroom alone?

My son is 9 years old and he refuses to sleep in his bedroom, he still sleep beside me!!!!

umissam

Asked by umissam at 4:14 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wish, I had a good answer. I've tryed everything myself. My son is also 9 and still sleeps next to me in my room. His sister sleeps in her room, next to his room.He's not alone on that end of the house. Once in counseling, she told me he was afraid that I'd leave like his father did. But this past summer, he stayed at friends home's for the night - I thought, Yea, if he can do that, he can stay in his own room - No Luck!
    I also, have a friend with a son, who's 10, they've taken him to counseling at his age - it still took a while and it's still back and forth at times.
    My son is very emotional IDK if it's just his personality and him wanting to stay close to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• personally i would just make him....i mean, i would do it on a weekend when it won't matter if you are up all night....but i would put him in bed. keep taking him back everytime he gets out. i can't even imagine a 9 year old not sleeping in their own bed. my daughter is 19 months and has been in her own crib her entire life. we are getting ready to move her to her toddler bed. her brother is almost 6. He had a little trouble when he got his own room (he was use to sharing with his older sister), but once we made it clear he had to sleep in his own room, that we could hear everything, and he was safe, he has been fine. the move for him happened when he was 4. his sister is 9 now, I would be VERY worried if she suddenly couldn't handle sleeping in her own room.

your situation is obviously different....but i would say stop giving in. you are his parent. he is past old enough to understand what is expected of him.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• OK, Are you a single parent?
    I'm only asking because I had the same problem. I tried various beds, trading him beds("Mom, your bed is soooo confy!!"), cool bedding, bribery, threatening, yelling, praising, You name it sister I've done it!
    So now, I turn on animal planet, volume on low, turn off the lights, make sure the dog is in there with him and told him if he gets up to do anything besides go to the bathroom, The tooth fairy will pull out all his teeth!
    Bash away! It worked for me!!
    What works for me not might work for you, but good luck!
    And yes, I leave the tv on all night!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I sympathize with you because I have a 9 year old DD that does the same. She is an only child and cannot understand why mom and dad can sleep together and she has to sleep alone. We o through phases where she sleeps fine in her room, but if she had a bad day or is overly tired, she wants to sleep with us. I think she is looking fo companionship because she is an only child. Good luck!

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 7:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Is there a reason he wants to sleep with you all the time. If he is afraid of the dark, maybe you should buy him a night light or small lamp to put on his dresser. Turn on the radio or TV, sometimes that soothes them. I bought my daughter calming CDs and sprinkle a couple drops of lavender essential oil on her pillows, lavender is very calming. Whatever method you choose, do it quickly. He has to learn that he cannot sleep with mommy all the time. Maybe say I bet your friends don't sleep with their moms and dads. Or have your son invite a friend over for a night and then he will have to sleep in his own room, he might like it after that.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 7:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• lol Starfire.. my son is only 2 and I threaten reason with him too.. He has a routine and we read books and I put him to bed at 8:45 and he's still sometimes up 2 hours later, I've gone in there 2-3 times by then for he's calling/crying for me or he lost a bandaid which means the world ends...lol! but for 4 months now he midnight wakes in nightmare/habit? and I ended up giving in after 3 months of every other method trials and now, I have to say Ok honey, well, if you dont' go to bed I have to take away things..so so so so bad I feel for habving to do this but I am seriously afraid I will be sleeping with my 9 year old.. which mind you , I would be fine with IFFFFFFF. he slept or I slept.. but NOOO! he tosses and turns and thumps and throws him arms and does NOT cuddle.. I feel like a walking zombie...lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I agree totally with Casual Candles. And a little with if your a single mom. ;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2010