What do you pay for childcare?

I'm trying to put together some numbers for the next time my sisnlaw wants me to watch my 4-month old nephew. It's not that I want her to pay me, it's just that if I didn't do it unless she paid me she might not take so much advantage of me and all this 'free time' I really don't have.

Comfy

Asked by Comfy at 7:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm sorry, if this is too personal a question, you can send me a message instead. I honestly have no idea what a fair price is on babysitting an infant for several hours a day. I'll be happy for any suggestions. =)
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 7:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• $125/wk for DD (8m/o) and $95/wk for DS (3yrs). That is for in-home, private daycare full time. They are allowed to be there for up to 60hrs/wk but they're usually there about 8hrs/day (40hrs/wk). I use my GI Bill to pay for my children's day care. I get about $1300/mo, so I still get to pocket quite a bit.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• You might try asking this question in the General Parenting and Baby answer groups. You might get more responses :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• OH! LOL didn't realize I was in a specific group, lol, thank you for pointing that out! And thanks for the answer =)
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 7:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Hello I work for a Child Care Resource and Referral agency working with in home day care providers and centers as well as assisting parents to find child care. Here is something to keep in mind. As a informal daycare provider doing child care for your nephew you will not usually be paid as much as a registered or licensed day care provider who has had trainings and background checks and inspections etc. You can call around and ask about what rates other people are charging as a starting point but remember how different the requirements are for each type of child care. Centers charge more than registered family child care and informal providers generally get paid the least. Good Luck!

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Thanks Luuckymommy ~ the information is only to provide me with a basic idea of what's being charged for these services, professional or not. I understand what you are saying and I realize I won't get what most people are asking. I don't even want to be paid for watching my nephew, but if I don't tell his mama she's going to have to start paying me something she's going to continue to try and get free child care out of me. I can't stand someone taking advantage of another.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 10:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I pay $25 a day for up to 10 hours on 4 year old. She goes to a daycare but is in preschool classes.
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I pay $80 a week now that he's in daycare. I was paying $75 a week or $15 a day when he was in a home daycare (which is always better).
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I pay $150 a week for 3 1/2 days.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2010