Switch from babywash to shampoo/soap?

When did you switch from using a baby soap (i.e. Johnson & Johnsons baby wash) to soap and shampoo for your toddler? Recommendations for a mild soap?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 7:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• there are no rules, J&J baby shampoo actually has a chemical in it that numbs your babies eyeballs so it doesn't sting. The chemicals are still in there plus the numbing agent. Makes no difference when you switch( 1st baby 14 months), if you never switch( 2nd baby til 3yrs) or if you never used the baby shampoo stuff in the first place( 3rd & 4th babes, both now have gorgeous thick heads of wavy blonde hair). Mild pure soap and water is all that is necessary, anything above that is just scents, and chemicals to make it feel nice. A very light conditioner will help get rid of tangles, if you toddler has lots of hair.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I started using the L'Oreal kids shampoo (or other brands, non-tear-free) about two or three years ago. Maybe 2 1/2 because my girls have never liked getting their hair washed. I tried the shower head method, I tried the pool goggles method and in the end nothing really mattered. They just simply didn't like getting their hair washed, and yet, they had to... so for the last year I've just been using regular Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. It's gentle enough to use every day, it doesn't sting their eyes and it leaves their hair smelling fresh and clean. I use a dab of the comb-in conditioner (detangler) and life is almost bearable, lol! I still use the ole' tip-your-head-back-rinse-with-a-cup method, it seems to be what works best.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 7:25 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• yup they aren't gonna thank you no matter what you do
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Dove, I blowing bubblesstill use baby wash with my 4 yr old too.& baby shampoo sometimes.It's not a big deal in my house witch one they use.Usually it's the one they like the smell of lol.

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We didn't switch until ours were like 4 or 5, and my 15 month old is still using the Aveeno baby line - because we love it!

Answer by missanc at 7:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Still use the baby shampoo and bubble bath for both my girls..My youngest has eczema so I have to use something gentle and my oldest 8 got some uti's from other bubble baths so I went back to the baby stuff..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I still use it for my 3 year old. But I also have a 14 month old and a 1 month old, so it would be stupid for me to buy different shampoos and soaps when they can all just use the same thing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I agree anything that is mild for the baby's skin is okay,usually.just make sure to use a little bit first , to make sure that your toddler is not alergic to it.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• DD was over two when I stopped using shampoo on her. I started doing no-poo and just using vinegar but then I switched to Kiss My Face just before she turned three (she has a lot of hair, btw) and that has been working well. I switched to soap around that time too, bar soap made by WAHMs with ingredients that are better for DD's skin and helped keep her eczema away. She can't handle a lot of the stuff like Johnson and Johnson, even Aveeno was hard on her skin. She needs QUALITY soap so now, I get a goat's milk soap for her and I also have castile soap for her and I will probably just use castile soap for the new baby rather than use all that soap stuff with chemicals in it (yucky!). It's up to the mom but in our case, it's necessary due to DD's mild eczema (my father had skin issues and is allergic to most soaps out there).
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 9:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• At age 1 I switched my daughter to an all natural handmade vegan unscented soap which I buy from a soapmaker on ebay. We've been using it for 8 years now. We also buy natural shampoo I like Aveda rosemary mint.
    mirandas_mom

Answer by mirandas_mom at 9:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2010