Why do Christians expect nonChristians to be scared or threatened by the idea of hell and damnation?

It's hard to be scared of something that you don't believe in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Exactly - which is why as a Christian I don't think they are, nor do I expect them to be. If they did believe in it, they wouldn't be non Christians.

Answer by missanc at 8:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Because the Christians that believe that only way to convert others is by fire and brime stone don't have the whole truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• LMAO, I've always wandered why the standard response I get from Christians who find out I'm atheist is "You're going to hell!" I usually respond with "Yeah, well the boogeyman's going to eat your toes." ;) That is from the diehards anyway, I've found that over the last few years most of the Christians I've met seem to be more tolerant...or maybe I just don't care anymore.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i dont believe in hell. I dont believe that a loving Father would want his children to burn in fire forever. He does cut them off if wicked. I also believe that He will give people a chance as well. I dont go around trying to scare anyone. Would you love your parents as comfortably as you do know if you were terrified. I grew up with one parent that i was horribly afraid of and the other i was comfortable with. I only wanted to live with the one that i was happy with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I've always wandered why the standard response I get from Christians who find out I'm atheist is "You're going to hell!" I usually respond with
    ----------------------------------------

As a JW I get that too that i'm going to hell. No one knows who will inherit God's kingdom. I dont believe in hell, only in everlasting life on paradise earth or people will get cut off.

Psalm 37:9-13 (King James Version)

9For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

10For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

11But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

12The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.

13The LORD shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Because they know they'll never convert anyone with logic or reasoning. Threats are all they have...lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'm a Christian and I will first ask that you not lump all of us together in some sort of group. I dont threaten anyone! I tell you what I believe if the subject comes up. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe. God gave us that ability too!
    Luciens_Mom

Answer by Luciens_Mom at 9:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Why do non-Christians always generalize? LOL!
    I don't ever remember using hell as a witnessing tool. Not all Christians are the same, just as not all non-Christians are alike.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• lumping everyone together usually doesn't turn out too well with conversations or social activities. as a Christian I personally do not care what you believe. It's your choice, isn't it????
    You don't have to believe or disbelieve once your dead, now do you?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• As a christian I dont hope anyone is scared of the idea of hell. I think its all individual. Im 38 yrs old and too old to worry about scaring anyone into believing anything. If you choose not to believe then thats your choice. I choose to believe and wont sugar coat my beliefs for someone who doesnt. I think many people misunderstand some christians. If you ask them what happens when you die you will get a direct answer. It isnt meant to scare, its just what WE believe.

Answer by gemgem at 9:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010