Weight control cat food?

My female cat is about 10 months old. In the past few month, she's managed to get HUGE. I haven't put her on a scale but she's very big and heavy. I just ran out of cat food and I was thinking about maybe getting some specifically for weight problems today. I don't know how I feel about it though. How are they supposed to help with weight? Do they have fewer calories? I it some stimulant to "boost" metabolism? Is it natural or even safe? I could use some info or suggestions before I go to the store today. I'm sure any sales person will tell me it's all good to make a sale.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 8:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pets

• get indoor formula and feed o demand- dont leave the bowl full
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't feed a cat on demand. My cat can get pretty demanding with the food! Science diet has a pretty good weight control formula. Also feed the cat on a schedule. I feed mine twice a day, morning and night. Lastly, bring the kitten to the vet to get her checked out and weight her so you can watch her weight. Is she spayed? When did you spay her and has the weight piled on since then?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If your cat is an indoor cat, yes definitely switch her to an indoor formula. Diet food doesn't have any stimulants in it, just fewer calories, same with indoor formulas. Inside cats don't have the same energy needs as an outdoor cat. It also depends on the breed of cat, she may just be a big cat...I've had a 22lb Maine Coon who was not fat at all. However if she's got the belly-on-the-ground syndrome a diet is probably in order. Try putting out a cup of food for her in the morning then once again at night instead of just letting her free-feed. When in doubt always consult your vet, they can be sure that there is nothing wrong and help you decide the best way to help her loose weight if she does indeed need to diet. Good luck!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• When you look at the food check the calories and how much fiber is actually in the food. If you want her to lose little weight don't leave the food out all day for her to graze. You should also measure out the amount. Your cat will not like that in the beginning but keep it up. Another thing you can try is canned pumpkin because it is high in fiber and will help make her feel full. I started giving it to one of mine because she is 1 1/2 and she seemed to balloon over night. Penny will eat everything and it has made a differance.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I have a 9 week old kitten and just went to the vet and she told me that I was too feed on demand for 6 mths. My kitten is all indoor, and wont be outdoor at all, and wasnt properly weaned. Because of that she runs the risk of becoming overweight. After 6 mths I am to feed her 2x a day and leave the food out an hour. If the cat whines between you can give them kitty snacks. Otherwise they can become obese. If the cats already obese just call the vet. Generally without an appointment they can give you advice by phone.

Answer by gemgem at 9:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• She was spayed a few months ago and that's when I noticed the weight gain. She's totally indoors and very inactive. My 2 other cats are totally normal (both male though) so I'm worried why she is so huge.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2010