what is the average amount of hair loss during the day?

Lately I feel I have been losing 100's of hairs is this normal?
Sometimes when I wash it (afew) and then I condition it (afew) then when I comb in out another few...damn when is the cut off in this?

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• 50 -100
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• This is normal, your hair goes through cycles,,,now if you have been having tiredness or weight gain, it can also be a sign of an under active thyroid. Usually it last a couple of months? How long has this been going on?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• up to 100 hairs depending on how much hair you have to begin with. as long as you are not showing signs of baldness or patches, and nobody is commenting on seeing your scalp, you should be fine.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I always had thick long hair and ever since I was in my twenties I noticed I was losing lots of hair everytime I washed my hair and combed it. My hairdresser told me it was normal. It always seemed to grow back, but now that I'm in my 40's I have noticed it's not quite as thick as it was when I was young, but I still have plenty of it.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 11:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• 100 hairs is average if you have medium thickness hair. Less if it's thinner, more if it's thick. My sister has a MANE of hair and probably loses 300 per day (judging from the amount on the bathroom floor YUK!!!) I lose between 50-100
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• 50-100 hairs a day is normal.. your hair goes through three phases.. anagen, catagen, and telegen. (sp?).. the first (anagen) is where your hair grows, catagen is the resting phase, and telegen is when it falls out and it starts all over again. Unless the hairs are all coming from the same spot and you are developing a balding spot (a sign of alopecia areata which needs medical treatment) then it is completely natural.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010