How can I wean my baby off his pacifier?

merecory

Asked by merecory at 10:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw it away. lol I actually put ours up in the cabinet just to see how he would be. It was only about a day or two that he even asked about it. He was a binky baby for sure before that. You could just let him have it at bedtime and thats all and slowly ween him away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My daughter started to get a gap in her front teeth and I think it was from the paci. I warned my husband that I was taking them away and we just did it, cold turkey! Once she got through the 3 day hump she was fine... but, oh, it was a bad 3 days... lots of whining and crying. Just resist the urge to give them to him. Pick a time when you have nothing going on that way the routine is pretty normal and he doesn't have a reason to really need it. Also, I started to give my daughter a dolly when she goes to sleep so she hugs her dolly in her crib.
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 10:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• We just took it away and it was so much easier then I ever imagined. They might ask a couple of times but be persistant. If they are old enough you can even point out the big kids don't need it type of thing. Good luck and stick with it. :o)
    nikkeed

Answer by nikkeed at 12:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• we cut off the part that goes in the mouth and told our son that it was broken. he carried around the (broken) pasifier for a couple of hours the gave up on it.
    kristina.a2

Answer by kristina.a2 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2008