Sleep Apnea in 4 yr old?

My son is 4 yrs old and I have just recently noticed that at night when he is sleeping, he will gasp for air. He snores and is a mouth breather. It is like he STOPS breathing and gasps for air. I called the doctors office and he has an appointment tomorrow morning. Could this be sleep apnea? Could his constant nose bleeds be related to this? Could anyone let me know what they think as well? Thanks!

MommyBulger

Asked by MommyBulger at 10:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes. my son had this also. his was from a completely obstructed nasal passageway from hypertrophic adenoids, turbinates and tonsils. we unfortunately ended up in the ER with a complete obstruction when he was 11 mos old and emergency surgery to remove all the enlarged tissues. get a good ENT referral, the surgeries done today to correct these problems are so much easier than in the past. his constant nosebleeds could be from allergies, congestion, or dry air in your house. It's also the first sign of leukemia in children, so be aware of that if they do screening. He may have a deviated septum also, which is a bigtime troublemaker with breathing problems.GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• my son is now 4, he was born 6 wks early. sleep apnea is so common for preemies. he had it until 6 months. i kept the monitor until he was 9 months. i still watch him sleep to be sure he breathes. apnea is super scary and i am so glad that you are going to the doctor. they should do a sleep test. they jsut wire them up and let them sleep and see if they stop breathing. simple as that.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2010