was wondering the thought about rewarde charts and behavior charts.

i have a 3 year old who has tantrums almost all the time my husband and inlays say she only dose it with me as soon as i walk in from work it starts and on days off are crazey!Dont knw what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I LOVE charts. My son is only 2 and I have a bedtime chart and a picture chart. So.. he'll GET it more next year I think but it adds fun and reward for normal chores. I also made a couple for my 10 year old niece and she seems to like it too! However, my son has always behaved the worst for me and I still don't know why. I am stern, try to be consistant and always play with him and he's not lacking my attention.. I don't know either... but hang in there. I have a tantrum thrower too! it gets hard!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Oh I LOVE incentive charts! Our favorite 'behavior' chart was the frog & pond. Three frogs ~ 1 happy, 1 neutral, 1 sad (bawling!). One pond. Frog shaped cutouts with name. I laminated everything and used magnetic tape to secure it to the refrigerator. The goal was to get your frog into the pond. Good behavior moved you up, bad down. The girls loved it. Found it online. We've also done sticker charts, treasure boxes and other incentives. They can be a lot of fun. And sometimes they don't work at all.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 11:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i looooovvve my reward charts. they have helped me to potty train. to get him to brush his teeth without running away from me... etc etc... yes try it. when you come home and she doesnt have a fit. she gets a smile face drawn or sticker. when the chart is filled. she gets some reward. it is a small recognition each time she does something right... i really believe in them. i teach small reading groups of kids who are behind and they love them and my prize drawer.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Reward charts DO NOT WORK, for my son. He doesn't care, he doesn't want a sticker, he doesn't want a reward. He could care less whether or not he gets things. Sadly, I have to use negative reinforcement more than positive with him. I use time out, and for tantrums I ignore him. Completely. Once he calms down I talk to him, and it seems to be working out alright so far. I use positive reinforcement all day with words and attention- "Nice job picking up those toys!" "Thanks for helping me with dinner!" etc.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2010