your opinion, college...

Okay, I was just reading about this woman who is in debt for $500,000 for college. This is ridiculous. Hubby always gives the boys this talk about college, and their grades and all that. I just think to myself is it really realistic to think of them both going to college? It is insane what it cost nowadays to go, and then you aren't guaranteed a job after. I'm not selling my kids short, I'm just wondering how it is going to happen. And isn't a trade school of some kind just as good? Learn a trade that you can have a career in? What are your thoughts about college, and if it is dire to their future to have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• College is not for everyone, and trade school may actually be better for some people and some careers. Not all colleges are equal and not all degrees are equal. If you invest the time and money in college then you really should do some research on the field of study you choose. There are some degrees where a job is almost guaranteed and others where you may never find a job in your field of study.

My husband and I are both college graduates, and we both have good jobs related to our degrees. Between us we had less than $25K in student loans which are now almost entirely paid off ($500K in student loans is crazy). College is my first choice for my kids, but they will ultimately decide for themselves. I won't be disappointed if they go a different route as long as they are happy and productive people capable of living independently.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• College is an absolute for my kids. I would be very disappointed if they didn't go. I myself am still going to school at 30 - I don't want them to graduate high school, get into a marriage/family, and realize a high school diploma just doesn't cut it. A college degree will improve their chances. A trade school could possibly work, depending on what they were going into. It's hard to predict 15-20 years in advance what careers/jobs will be in demand.

$500k for college is ridiculous.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• You have to have some kind of college to get a good paying job. Even if it is a trade school. It really helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• College is overrated nowadays...and college really isn't for everyone. My fiance went to college for a fews years, didn't graduate, and is now a manager of a very successful jewlery store. My uncle also, barely graduated high school. Got into the car dealership business, and now owns 9 and is a multimillionaire. Granted, you are given more opportunities with a college degree...but now since EVERYONE goes to college, those that continue on to grad school for however many more years, are the first call backs for jobs. Years ago, people with college degrees weren't as common, so those who had one had an advantage over everyone else. So not only are you looking at 4+ years of regular college, it is in everyone's benefit to continue on to grad school...which is another 2+ years and however much more money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I have friends who graduated over 3 years ago and still don't have jobs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Last anonymous person, my sister graduated two years ago also, and works at a chicken fast food place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• college is definatly a must especially in the economy. yes, there are some people who cant find jobs and are college graduates, but the economy isnt going to stay like this forever - and your better off with a college degree then without. you have to start saving to pay for there college, they can get fanacial aid, and student loans that they wont have to pay back until they get a job. if they join sports or have really high grades in HS, they may get a scholarship. alls i know, is if your kids do good in school and want to go to college, you better find a way to put them through college.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My Son just got his BA and can't find a job... He's working at Starbucks.
    He is now going to a trade school or thinking of joining the military... He has got to pay back 40,000 to school loans...
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 12:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Well, 1st off I am not sure what college she went to to be in debt by that much. My son is going to a small, private college and with room and meals added in (but excluding books) to the tuition it's going to be $124,000 for 4 years ($31,000 per year). He has all of it covered between scholarships from the community & college and grants from the college. After college he will have med school but there aree also scholarships and grants for that as well.

The problem with so many people being out of work after college is that they pick careers that are over manned to start with. They go in to computers, business management, etc.. People need to choose careers that are under-manned or that have a higher need. My son wants to be a doctor, he HAS to go to college. You can't just go to trade school for that. Ditto with my son who became a teacher. Lawyers can't go to trade school, either. For some it IS dire!
    Anonymous

• University degrees was never questioned, my kids knew how we felt about the importance of a good education and a degree. Mine worked until they were recepients of scholarships which helped tremendously. As far as student loans are concerned, they will only pay ten percent of their income towards repaying them, which is ok, and in the long run well worth it.

Answer by older at 1:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2010