Am I wrong for not going?

When it's my inlaws teen kids birthday they invite the family to go out to dinner to celebrate their birthday and everyone is expected to pay for your own meals. Well to me it is to expensive to take a family of 5 out to dinner and also buy a gift for their kids, so I usually don't go and give them the gift when I see them. The dinner for a family of 5 usually cost us at least $60.00 and the girt is about $30.00, I just think that that is to much to spend on a kids birthday. I just feel like they are so rude.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 10:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• It is there way of celebrating. Just keep doing what you are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If you can't afford it- if it would create a problem with your budget, then don't go. If you can afford it without being a hardship, then go, since it is a family get-together. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.

Answer by Bmat at 10:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• This is why I prefer have a childs party at home. The host supplies the food, and entertainment and the guests bring gifts. I tell people that they don't need to bring a gift. My children are in it more for having friend and family time then the gifts. I am glad that my kids don't care. I don't think its rude of you to not go. Keep doing what your doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• This sort of stuff seems to be a real problem w/my family. I usually just don't go,even if it's at their house because my niece gets ten times what my kids get. I attent rarely and sometimes the whole family goes but not always. I wouls say attend when you can and like above stated,when you can't,don't. My family does not always come to our celebrations. GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 11:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I never really thought about it that way, but you make a good point. Depending on how many relatives you have, this can get expensive. I know our families do it when we have a large group and can't decide whose house to host dinner. We usually take our children out for dinner on the day of their bday, and host a dinner party at our house for the family on another day so everyone can celebrate together.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 11:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• very very rude of the host to ask you to go out to eat and not pay! i wouldnt want to go either. how tacky!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2010