Any one else's 2 year old not sleeping through the night after an illness?

My son got sick in Nov and threw up for 12 hours, ever since then he stopped sleeping through the night. He has also gone from crib to toddler bed during that time. While he was sick I laid on his floor next to his crib to help him when he did throw up. He goes to bed by himself and just fine ( well, it takes up to an hour for him to fall asleep but he does stay in bed ) but he wakes sometimes from nightmares and sometimes I think now, it could be habit?? if I let him cry he works himself up so much that he won't go back to bed for hours.. if I lay with him or sit by his bed he will sleep but still wakes every hour to make sure I am there.. not sure what to do? we have never co slept til now and he tosses and turns and rolls around.. not sure if its cause I am there or he's truly going through something.. Its been 4 months though and I am getting worried. He's NEVER been a good sleeper from birth.. he used to CIO as a baby.

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• It could be trouble adjusting because of the illness and because the toddler bed is so "open", it doesn't feel as secure to him.

Try getting those toddler bed "bumpers" .. the enclosed feeling may help.

Have you tried giving your son a "love object" that smells like you ? Tell him it is a special object that will protect him.

I'd also put a night-light in. Tell him it's a special light that will protect him.

Fears run rampant in babies this age.. the least little thing sets them off. My mom said I spent months camped out on their bedroom floor when I was 3 ;) I'd sneak in and sleep there. lol. They let me.. and the fears slowly passed and I went back to my bed on my own to be a "big girl" again.

I don't think I'd force it so hard. Try a gentler approach, I think it'll help. I'd sleep with him now and slowly introduce the concept of "big boy" and protection items, and phase yourself out of his room slowly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Oh, and the "big girl" and leaving coincided with the cat sleeping on my bed. I always felt my cat protected me from the monsters and made me feel safe.

My mom also had an elaborate "bed-time" ritual with me that ensured I would not get up. She set my bed-time to when I'd actually go to sleep (10 pm.. she tried for years to put me to bed at 8 pm and finally just realized it was not worth it and put me to bed later.. I've always been a night owl!) .. She'd read me a story, give me a sippy of water, tuck me in reallly tight to my bed, make sure my nightlight worked, make sure I had my cat, give me kisses, tuck my bed again, and turn off my light.

She did that til I was about 6.

Other than when I was vomiting or had a night terror and the 3 year old episode I never bothered my parents.

Good luck gently removing yourself and setting up a bed-time ritual! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• P.S. My mom never gave my brother the sippy at night.. he had night-time bladder control problems.. I didn't. So if your LO is having a hard time night-training or potty training skip the sippy cup. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Thank you so much ~~ this is very helpful
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2010