How do you make your spaghetti sauce?

Do you make your sauce from scratch, use a packet, add stuff to a jarred sauce, or just use a premade sauce as is?

I use a jarred sauce and add meat, onion, bell pepper, celery, a can of stewed tomatoes, and a small can of tomato sauce with roasted garlic. How do you make yours?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 11:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I put garlic, basil, and a can of whole tomatoes in sauce in the blender. Then I usually sauté onions, peppers, etc. in the pan before I add the tomato mixture.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I use a jar sauce for every day meals and make homemade for special occasions.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 11:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We make it from scratch....the only time our kids will eat jarred sauce in any form is when they are at someone else's home because they've been taught to be polite and not complain about what another family serves for meals. We don't make spagetti very often because the sauce has to simmer for at least 4 hours and then it takes another hour to bake it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My kids like my homemade sauce best. I start with a bunch of fresh garlic & olive oil, toast the garlic in the oil til it's golden, then I add 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and whatever veggies I have in the fridge (carrots, celery, always onions, bell peppers, eggplant, summer squash, etc - whatever I have, it goes in!), sweet basil, oregano, some black pepper, a bit of salt, a bit of sugar (maybe a tablespoon of each). I simmer it for a couple of hours or longer, til everything's soft, then run my immersion blender through it (my family doens't like chunky sauce). Keep cooking, adjust herbs/spices to taste, add a can of tomato paste if it's too thin or the color is too pale, and serve over cooked pasta. I never make it the same way twice. I have done it with fresh tomatoes too, but in the winter I use canned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I start with tomato paste and add water and spices like basil, parsley, oregano, black & white peper. I also saute onions in the ground chuck I brown and drain which I add to my sauce. I also use fresh or canned mushrooms. Too! If I use a jar like Prego Super Mushroom I adjust what I add until it gets to our Taste. I also slowly simmer it for a few hours to blend the flavors! I also use this same recipe when I make lasagna!Using some Grated parmeasan cheeses too. MY DH loves my lasagna but he wishes it could be made without the noodles. I tease him. That's meat & cheese Honey!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• depend. If I'm off I make my mom's from scratch and it takes all day. If the mood stricks me late in the day or I work I'll grab a jar. I prefer homemade.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I make homemade! A ton of it actually in the summer when my garden is exploding and then I freeze it. I never make it the same way twice but i also add what ever veggies I have on hand. I chop them kind small in my food proccessor, then saute them with garlic in olive oil. Then I add some sort of meat, my fresh tomatoes I have run through my machine that separates the seeds and skins from the pulp and cook until it starts bubble. Then I turn the heat down and simmer and adjust my salt, pepper, sugar, and herb ratios until it tastes great!!
    Mommah3

Answer by Mommah3 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Tomato sauce and cooked hamburger, with a very generous amount of garlic pepper and onion powder. I won't eat anyone else's spaghetti sauce, ever.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2010