Any one else's 2 year old not sleeping through the night after an illness?

My son got sick in Nov and threw up for 12 hours, ever since then he stopped sleeping through the night. He has also gone from crib to toddler bed during that time. While he was sick I laid on his floor next to his crib to help him when he did throw up. He goes to bed by himself and just fine ( well, it takes up to an hour for him to fall asleep but he does stay in bed ) but he wakes sometimes from nightmares and sometimes I think now, it could be habit?? if I let him cry he works himself up so much that he won't go back to bed for hours.. if I lay with him or sit by his bed he will sleep but still wakes every hour to make sure I am there.. not sure what to do? we have never co slept til now and he tosses and turns and rolls around.. not sure if its cause I am there or he's truly going through something.. Its been 4 months though and I am getting worried. He's NEVER been a good sleeper from birth.. he used to CIO as a baby.

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cio is not a bad thing sometimes its the only thing that works ! as for waking up its a phase my son does the same thing all night long. p.s mine wakes up like every 2 hours feels me and gos back to bed
    clark.s.mommy

Answer by clark.s.mommy at 2:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I think you or someone with a similar situation posted before.

It is normal for human children to wake until they are 3 or older. For all of human history and still in most places in the world babies and young children have breastfed and slept next to their mothers. It is a symbiotic relationship and their sleep cycles become the same because of pheromones that mom and babe can smell. Mom doesn't wake much when the child nurses.

If the child wakes and is alone then the child cries and searches for mom. It is a panic situation. This is all hard wired in human baby brains. It's not a habit. Your poor baby had to cio and is still searching for you. That's why he has NEVER been a good sleeper.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:25 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Gailll.... I have about had it with your advice. You do not know ME or MY situation at all. Or my reasons for CIO with my son. I would try to fully explain however it would just never sink in to your head, as I know the type of woman you are. I see your responses and answers all over the place and I wish you would skip 90% of them. Clearly you are educated in some area's but not ALL..!! SO if you continue to respond to posts, you might want to keep your snide comments of "your poor baby had to cio " NOT NECESSARY!!!!!!!! I would never WANT to let my baby CIO. you Don't know the situiation.. arg.. you make me so frustrated.!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• btw. my son slept with me and still sucked at sleeping so that first answer is B.S.
    clark.s.mommy

Answer by clark.s.mommy at 2:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yeah, it's very normal to have to do sleep training all over again after your kid gets sick, or you go on a vacation, or anything like that.

It's up to you what sleep training methods you and your family are most comfortable with...no matter what method you go with, just be prepared for the first few nights to be really hard, but worth it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Thank you Ladies :) even just reassurance feels good somedays !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010