Why does everyone do parties for birthdays?

Like, why isn't a special dinner with a friend or two, or even just the grandparents, and a cake and ice cream with a few presents not good enough anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• For my hubby and I we just go out to eat together. We have not had parties since we were teens. As for my kids it if fun for them to have friends and family come and celebrate with them. I see nothing wrong in celebrating my childs birthday and have them feel very special for a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Not everyone does parties beyond the type you have mentioned. I think some people are under the impression that everyone else goes all out and their child will feel slighted if they don't also go all out. I think family birthdays are great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i enjoy making a big to-do about my daughter's birthday. i have a lot of people who are special in both of our lives that enjoy sharing her birthday with her. if thats what YOU want to do, then thats fine... its individual preference.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I think in general it just depends on how many people WANT to celebrate that special day with the birthday person. If lots of people love you...or your child then lots of people will want to be there. If you're more of an introvert with one or two friends and thats it then of course a dinner is more fitting. I do dinners because I don't have alot of people in my life. But my husband has a big party every year because he loves people..and partying. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• we only go all out for the first birthday!!!!after the first we just have a small get together with the grandparents and siblings..my bf has a bro and a sis and i have two sisters so they are included..for his son we have cake and ice cream and presents with a special dinner with just the four of us..for my daughter since its in the summer we have it at a pool by grammas house so the kids can go swimming if they want and maybe have some grilling out..kinda depends...shes only one so thats what we are going to do and his other son is 6 years older and thats what they do so idk
    Houstyn08

Answer by Houstyn08 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• That's all we do. We don't throw parties (and if we do it's just my friend's kids and some cake). We take the kids out to lunch/dinner (their choice) and they get a few gifts and I make a cake. The big treat is they don't have to do chores on their birthday. They've never complained.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• What kills me is all the "what should I do, any party ideas questions" Are people really that uncreative that they cannot come up with their own childs birthday party????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• well thats how i was brought up. dh wasnt it,. is a choice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I always hated the fact that I never really had birthday parties growing up. My mom would make a homemade cake-not even anything special as far as decorating it or anything jsut a plain ol every day sorta cake...and a couple presents. I'm not complaining- I mean it isn't like they forgot them or anything-but I would like to have something to remember for the 16th birthday- and I couldn't tell you what we did for it! and for High school graduation- I got taken to get an ice cream cone and went home. THANKS for the celebration!
    I try to make each birthday memorable for my kids-and that does NOT mean a huge or pricey party. It means I take time and effort for the cake...and we usually come up with a theme and have the party at home. They tell me they have loved their parties so far so that makes me happy )
    *didn't really put much into them until they were 5-ish though-before that we would just have family over and cake!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i ttly agree w you it's ridiculous to invite gobbs of ppl just so u can clean up after them and cake in the carpet bs no way! my little boys bday is in nov. so we have to have an inside party well we did that this year we had spilled punch cake and ice cream everywhere not to minchen trash it's tooo big of a mess I say 2 friends a movie rental and cupcakes and gifts afterall this isn't christmas
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2010