Fostering!!!

My husband and I found out that we could not have kids about a year ago. We had talked adoption, then foster care and gone back and forth and think we decided on fostering. However, during the whole, we can never have kids things, we tore down our 3rd bedroom and made it a huge bathroom. My SS has the other bedroom but he's only here 2 weekends a month. Could we foster a child and them share a room when my SS is here, or would we have to wait until we build on another room? It's good sized room with two closets. I figured it'd have to be a boy instead of a girl with my SS being there on weekends but is that possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Adoption

• That's a question you'd have to ask the people in charge of foster care, they can anwer all your questions. It used to be they had to have their own room but things have probably changed in that regard. Before you take foster children, be sure that you are going to be ready to have a child in your home for a few weeks, months or even years and then, perhaps, have that child returned to it's parents or put into a different foster home. It's a good thing to do if you are able to...but it can be very heart-breaking too.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Depends on state laws over fostering and the agency guidelines. The last agency we foster through each child had to have own bed but could share room.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a basement that can be made into a fun room for your SS? That way your FS could have his own room, and so could your SS. Just an idea. ;-)
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• In my state, each bedroom has to be 50 square feet per child in the room, so if it is a nice size room, you might be able to have them share, both being boys of coarse. You should call your local CPS office to find out the specifics, but I think you have a great chance! Good luck!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'm in Alaska, and we can have up to 3 kids in one room as long as they are the same sex, and babies can be in the parents room still (up to the age of 1)
    But like pp said, it really depends on your area, and what their rules are.
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 1:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Definitely check with your state's foster agency. Where I live, sharing a bedroom is perfectly acceptable as long as it fits certain criteria. For example, they have to have their own bed, their own place to store clothing, the same sex children have to share a room, and there was a limit on how far apart in age they could be. You couldn't put a 16 year old boy in with a 4 year old boy.

You would only be able to foster boys within the certain age of your step son. Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2010