Constipated breastfed baby

My daughter is 5.5 months old and she is breastfed, she nurses every 3-5 hours. She has a BM every 7-10 days...
Brought her in at 3-4 days old and they said that she is fine. Brought her in again at a few weeks old and they said that it is fine, as long as she isn't straining. 3-4 weeks ago, she was straining for quite awhile, screaming in pain, and passed a very hard stool with blood b/c it made her tear, 2 nights in a row. The doc just said to give her foods that help with constipation and more fluids... so we have been giving her half a jar of prunes and 4oz of prune juice and water.

3 nights ago she strained and screamed in pain again... passed a small amount with blood since she tore again. She strained a lot yesterday while on the plane for awhile, so I thought that she got a lot out... turns out it was just a little with a little blood again.

Anyone know what could be the prob?

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 11:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be something you are eating, also have you started solids or anything else besides bm?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Solids would be the first concern. If you are giving them, back off, and go to a breastmilk-only baseline. Breastmilk is a laxative. If you ARE only nursing, then look at what you are eating.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• When she first got constipated, it was a few days after starting solids, I stopped giving her solids for 2 weeks, nothing changed.

The last 2 weeks, she has only had maybe 1.5 jars of prunes and some occasional water and juice.
    shannonwooten

Answer by shannonwooten at 11:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I am not sure what I could be eating that has been doing this since this has been going on for 1.5 months now. I eat pretty healthy... fruits and veggies... a lot of fluid... barely eat any junk. I don't eat much dairy since it seems to upset her reflux.
    shannonwooten

Answer by shannonwooten at 11:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• While it's normal for a breastfed baby to go many days without a poop, this isn't normal. Has anything changed in YOUR diet in the past six weeks?

Sometimes sensitivities do crop up later, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yes watch what you are eating and go to another doctor for a second opinion. You can also try apple juice but stay away from solids for now.
    Your diet has to be well balanced with all the food groups and for now maybe less breads or starchy food.
    texasmamaof3

Answer by texasmamaof3 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Make sure the juice you give is only prune, apple or pear juice....but they only need 4-6 ounces of juice. The others don't really help. The first and last time my dd was constipated I looked up info online and ended up giving her dried apricots. You could get apricots and puree them. This worked like a charm!!! I give them to her every now and then as a snack now to make sure she stays nice and regular.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• YOU need to eat more stuff that helps YOU poop - which is then passed along to her. More fiber, more fruits & veggies, etc. I know it's not fun, but if you eat to make yourself go, you'll be helping your baby. Cut out foods that bind YOU up.
    Anonymous

• Okay. It's a vicious cycle that needs broken NOW.. I would personally get baby a laxative. Why? If your baby is AFRAID of pooping because the past few times she has, it has hurt, she will hold the poop in - making her more and more constipated and possibly very ill. So - If I were you I would call the doctor and get a laxative and give it to her til she poops a few times without pain. Then stop the laxative use and breastfeed her slightly more often. Perhaps offer every 2 hours for a while and see if that helps (it should). The only reason other than a serious condition with her bowels that a breastfed baby would have constipation like this where causes obvious pain and bleeding.. is A. solids did it B. baby is not nursing enough/getting enough fluids C. she's holding her pooh in!
    I do NOT think it is what you are eating. I think this is more a case of baby is afraid to poop and maybe needs to nurse a little more.
    Anonymous

• It's okay that ya'all didn't think of "she's making it worse by holding it in".

The more you hold your pooh the more water is absorbed into your body from it -- making it harder and harder.

It's a commonly missed reason for constipation.
    Anonymous