What is the average time that ovulation is supressed during breastfeeding?

I know it shouldn't be used as the sole form of birth control but my mom said she always charted and used LAM in the first 6 month while she exclusively breastfed us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• everyone is different, some woman get a period while bf others dont so is hard to tell.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yes everyone is different.
    Anonymous

• i like this site

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:

1. Your baby is less than six months old
    2. Your menstrual periods have not yet returned
    3. Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day & night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.

some say that you also shouldn't be using a pacifier for it to be effective.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Well, I bfed my dd and got pregnant 3 weeks after she was born...so use condoms.
    Anonymous

• btw, we did use a pacifier, but we also used the pull out method or condoms because i am paranoid!!! ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• It varies but I bet that ovulation can occur within a few weeks but you still might not get your period. That happened to me alot. My MIL got pregnant within 3 weeks of the birth of her first child. SHe had no clue about reproduction and thought nursing her baby was birth control. LOL. Oh gee.
    Anonymous

• It's NOT suppressed - you still DO ovulate even if you EBF. People that think you don't ovulate while breastfeeding are nutso. It's basic health stuff, I learned it in high school AND every time I had a baby!
    Anonymous

• The average time of the return of menses while breastfeeding is 14.5 months. Mine came back at 11 months postpartum. I knew it was bound to happen because we drove across the country and she went more than 4 hours without nursing a few times.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Anon :10, that's not true for every woman. A lot of women do have lacatational amenorrhea. We just don't hear about it much in this country, since we use pacifiers, bottles, and a lot of people schedule feedings.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• First it depends on whether you feed on demand, use a pacifier, cosleep, carry in a sling or other carrier and whole host of other issues. Anon 1:10 it is true that most women DO NOT ovulate for at least a few months if exclusively breastfeeding. I personally did not have a cycle until both my kids were 15 months old. We are EXTREMELY fertile together and got pregnant on our first month off birth control and then used nothing after he was born so that nature could space our children for us and I had one period at 15 months PP and then got pregnant during the next cycle. I know many families who let nature space their kids and on average they are getting their cycles and getting pregnant around 12-15 months PP. Oh BTW I was also still nursing at 15 months too. MY DH's grandmother let god space hers and she had 14 kids all about 18-24 months apart.
    Anonymous