Where are the parents??

http://cbs3.com/local/Center.City.Macys.2.1499306.html

The entire ordeal began when approximately 100 teens engaged in a gigantic snowball fight outside Philadelphia's City Hall Tuesday evening.
A 16-year-old girl was arrested for allegedly kicking a 15-year-old boy in the face as other teens held him down outside the store. The 15-year-old is listed in stable condition at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

watch video on right for more details.

What would you do if your child engaged in this thuggish behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They are highschool students so the parents were at work and they probably caught the bus home or walked. It was a snowball fight (innocent) turned bad simply because it went into the department store. I'm sure alot of those kids are punished for quite awhile.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• What about the similar incident that happened in the summer. Did you watch the news video?
    Anonymous

• When my kds were teens,they went home after school and stayed home. They would have steered clear of that type of kid who had so much freedom that they could go and have a snowball fight and beat kids up. They wouldn't have approved. They were too smart and responsible for that kind of thing. The worst thing any of my kids was be silly and joke around in class---my son. I was there for my kids and they knew they couldn't be delinquents. They knew they didn't want to be delinquents and beat kids up. That is the way our frfiends' families raised their kids,too.
    Are those a bunch of criminals there? Or freaks?
    Anonymous

• What typically functioning teen on the planet is being watched (literally) by an adult figure, parent or otherwise 24/7? Part of your job as a parent is to guide and mentor at an appropriate developmental level, so that your kids can function independently and successfully as adults. Of course, the group mentally was clearly in play, and kids do screw up, it's all part of the learning process. You screw up,YOU pay the piper. Anyone who says, "Not my kid," clearly has not parented through adolescence. Think large toddlers (brains actually undergoing significant changes in both stages), some of whom drive-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Anon :19- Wow your kids never screwed up? Mine did. Yes, my honor students and merit scholars did screw up. Let' see the oldest is 22 and set to graduate with her Master's in May-already has 2 firm job offers. My youngest is a college Freshman at very competitive University. Both are happy, healthy, involved and bright, and they still made mistakes and displayed poor judgement at times, as did I-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I agree with Sisteract. Even good kids get caught up in the action and group mentality, and occasionally screw up. My kids are not teens yet, but even now I'm not overseeing their every move.

They learn responsibility by being given responsibility. They learn consequences by facing consequences.

While I hope my children would be smarter than to be caught up in that kind of action, it may happen.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Anon :19, I find this remark of yours very interesting.

"They would have steered clear of that type of kid who had so much freedom that they could go and have a snowball fight and beat kids up."

Did you actually supervise every moment and every snowball fight your teens had? I find that astonishing.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I will say this if my kid was involved in kicking others in the face there would be hell to pay.No reason for that mess at all unless of course it is a situation of having to use self defense..obviously this was not that type of situation.

6
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• The only acceptable excuse to put your hands on someone else is in defense of your life, or to help save others in danger. If my kids EVER behaved otherwise, there would be big hell to pay for it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• As a teenager, I would have not participated in something as idiotic as this. Don't get me wrong I did stupid silly things. But none of them involved causing a 15 yr old to goto the hospital. Hopefully EVERY one of these idiotic teenagers is held accountable. If not by the law, then as the very least by their parents.

13

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010