Do you give your children allowance?

If so how much and at what age? Do you help them know how to categorize? (spend, save, donate)

Do they need to earn the allowance or is it just a given? If so what chores need to be done? What day of the week is your family "payroll"?

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 12:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not yet because she's a toddler. :) But I plan to give a dollar per age per week. So my 10 year old will get $10...give or take a little depending on our finances by that time. Portions will be to give, save, and to spend. If they want to make extra money I will have SOME opportunities for that but not always. Just like in a real job you may have overtime availability and you may not.
    I'm not sure I'll base allowance on chores. Chores will be done regardless of pay as a commitment to family and home. At least thats the way I see it right now. I've seen some great plans from financial experts like Dave Ramsey on how to teach kids about money so you may look into that too.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Dave Ramsey for kids ...and now I rethink my idea. :)

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My son is paid for chores he does around the house. Cleaning his room, play room and keeping his bathroom clean are not chores just things he should do. Taking out the garbage, sweeping and mopping the floors, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the baseboards and windows, dusting the blinds and other things he helps with he is paid to do. He gets 1-1.50 per chore. Yard Work he was paid more for in the summer since it was harder work and took longer. He likes to earn money so after homework he will look at my list of what needs to be done and will start on something. He plays like most kids do but he likes to work and earn money for books and other things he wants. He puts money into savings he has learned to pay himself first he loves looking at his account online and see how much it has grown. We don't just buy him stuff outside his birthday and Christmas so he knows if he wants something he earns it.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• It's not so much an allowance because they are little but we put money monthly in their savings account. With some banks like ours you can get a kids club savings account and if you make a monthly deposit they will match your average deposit for one month.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No allowance here but they do their chores. They basically clean up any messes they make in any room of the house, do their own laundry (the older 3 who are 9, 8 and 7), empty the dishwasher when asked and anything else. They don't get paid because they are part of the family and it is everyone's job to take care of the house and all they are really doing is cleaning up messes they make.
    The only thing they get paid for so far is picking up litter in our yard. They get $1. If they pick up litter all up and down the block I give them more. The more they pick up the more money they get. I also offer them $1 for helping with yard work (carrying grass clippings to the alley, raking leaves, etc).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We did not give our children allowances. We chose to instead teach them that every member of the family had responsibilities for which we were not paid. They were given spending money when they needed it, and they all got part-time jobs when they were ready to start thinking about having cars.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I don't pay for housework, they are just required to clean everyday and do their chores since they live here. Nobody will pay them when they're adults to keep their own places clean. They are great at cleaning w/o being told and there are times I think they earn this or that so I have been known to give them a sucker or peppermint, but they do not ask for it and I will not do it all the time; it's a special 'thank you for your effort' reward from me to them.

I do pay them at the end of the school year for their grades the entire year. When they hit adulthood if they work hard at their jobs they most often will see some kind of reward either in pay or recognition to keep them going on that same good track they are on. I only pay if the grade is passing or above, and since I don’t buy hand-held game systems or games for them then they usually save their money and buy something along those lines.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My 9 yo gets 4 dollars a week from his dad if his chores are done and he hasn't gotten into trouble at school.
    Anonymous

• Both my boys get $5 a week and have since I start my 3rd trimester with each. Kaelen doesn't understand yet but he is only 13 months. Haidn does understand. He knows he has money and what it is worth. He saves it until there is something he REALLY wants but we refuse to buy it because we think he doesn't need it. He weighs the pros and cons and decides whether or not it is worth it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I do not give an allowance. They do have chores to do as a member of the family. What they do get in return for their work is the money to go on field trips at school and more family outings.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010