How to handle 2 kids that dont eat?

I have a 5 year old and a 19 month old and meal times are HELL! They don't eat. The only way the 19 month old eats is if someone feeds and and sorry its not going to happen. All they'd do is sit at the table and drink. So, now they dont get drink until they've eaten their food. They get NO snacks. Nothing sweet at all and they still refuse to eat. It wasnt always like this the 19 month old used to eat so much he'd make himself sick. Now he doesnt eat!!! HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Let them drink water. Don't fight about food. We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I haven't been through my child not eating. But I made the mistake of giving her too much bready foods (even though whole grain) and she started to not eat her vegetables. So the following days I only gave her vegetables. She skipped the first couple meals but eventually she got hungry and ate them. Now she eats a full balanced meal. You can even still give snacks if you want, but they don't have to be "snack foods". Whole wheat toast with a little jam, fruit like apples, oranges, and bananas are all great healthy snacks. Even broccoli with a slice of melted cheese on top. Season food so it tastes good...even a little brown sugar in oatmeal is delicious and not sugar overkill.
    But basically, stick to your guns on bad snacks and drinks. Give them water or milk after meals because you don't want them dehydrated. But they will get hungry.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I went through this my girls too. Her doctor said that kids aren't dumb. They eat when they want too. She said to feed a light breakfast and lunch so they have a good dinner and obviously a balanced diet. It didn't last too long. I do know some parents that perfer not to have a set time for their toddlers to eat because they will eat when they are hungry. That doesn't work in my family because we have a set time we eat at the table together. Good Luck!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• They will eat when they are hungry.
    Anonymous