For the ERFers- Should a 3 year old that is 29 lbs be rear facing?

Just wanting to know when you ladies turned your children. My son is 3 years old and between 27 and 29 lbs, and I am considering keeping him RFing. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is four and weighs 29 pounds. I'd still have her rear facing if I could. We had to turn her around when she was two years old. Our vehicles are too small to accommodate the bigger rear facing car seats.

If your son is within the limits of the seat for rear facing, then do what you feel is best.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 1:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I kept my son RF'ing til 3.5 and about 35 lbs.

HTH.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I turned my first two just after their 1st b-days, they were both extremely tall and the second was nearly over the weight-limit for our rear-facing seat. I think a lot would depend on how tall he is. Is his legs are all smashed into the seatback he would be safer forward facing. 3 years seems pretty old to be rear facing to me, my first was in a booster by then!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Just because his legs would be bent or crossed does NOT make FFing safer.
    Anonymous

• As long as they fit in the car seat and meet the HEIGHT AND WEIGHT restrictions of the car seat you have. We could not afford nor fit any other seat then the one we have and our oldest grew out of our convertible seat height wise when he was just under 2.5 years. Our youngest is now 2.5 and is still rear facing, but is getting close to the height limit. Feet being all smashed up DOES NOT equal safer forward facing. I am an EMT and have seen many accidents where the children would have much less severe injuries if rear facing still. I personally saw a child who was about 2 years old and was internally decapitated because he was forward facing. I will keep my children rear facing as long as I can because I would much rather have a broken leg then a broken neck!
    Anonymous

• i kept my dd rearfacing till 33 mts. she was 31lbs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• slinkiee was your 3 yr old 40 lbs by them ?my dd is turning 3 in march and she is about 33 lbs now. and she wont be in a booster for a while. i plan to keep her in a 5 point harness for a while
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• lol. my daughter is about 25lbs. she has been in a FRONT facing seat since sometime around her 1st birthday. She is 19months now. It might have even been before she was a year because of her length. There is no way she would have lasted this long rear facing. She is about 32 inches or more long....and I know she would be squished if she was rear facing. According to the carseat she is in, she can be forward facing. She will remain in the carseat for quite a while. I haven't even thought about when she will go to a booster. We didn't move my SS to a booster till he was 3.5. He was....45lbs??? I think. Its been a minute.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My 1st DD is a has a form of drawfism called Hypochondroplasia. They say to like ERF until like 35 lbs and I forget the height but anyway if that was the case she would have been rear facing until she was 6 years old! Do what you think is best for you.
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 11:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• All you have to do is look at videos of a rear facing dummy and a forward facing dummy in a crash test, you will see that a 1 yr old child could be killed easily, or even internally decapitated. Not cool. It has nothing to do with weight, it has to do with bones, which is to do with AGE. Not even muscles have anything to do with hoe safe a child is in a car seat.

The AAP states "If a car safety
    seat accommodates children rear facing to higher
    weights, for optimal protection, the child should
    remain rear facing until reaching the maximum
    weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of
    the head is below the top of the seat back."
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/pediatrics;109/3/550.pdf

There is less risk even if the car is rear ended. If you do your research you will know this.
    VolpeFemmina

Answer by VolpeFemmina at 6:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2010