What would you do?

I currently work as a supervised visiation worker and a tracker in my town. The company I work for is shutting down some time between April and June. I had an interview today at a company that is basically a half-way house for federal parolees or those awaiting sentencing. The interview went really well, but when I heard the rate of pay I wanted to walk out the door. I currently make almost $15 an hour plus all of my mileage and this new job would pay $8/hr. This job would put my foot in the door to the federal and parole systems, but I don't think I can live off $8/hr. Thats $320 a week before taxes. DH is also job searching and has been for 5 months without any luck. What do I do? Go for the job that pays really, really awful in order to put my foot in the door or wait and see if something better comes up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Your interview put your foot in the door. If you stay with your current job and then take unemployment what would you be making and what salary level would you be required to take? Each state is different, but you should expect to make $7.50 and hour on unemployment and I believe that if you turn down a job making 80% of what you were making that can disqualify you from unemployment benefits. So tell them you would love to work for them, but it would have to be at a higher level making at least $10-12 per hour. Check back with them every few weeks. Let your current job run it's course collect the benefits and keep looking. Frankly they probably won't hire you just because they would be afraid that you would take the job, go through training (which costs them money) and then leave the minute you found something better.
    Anonymous

• Just to clarify: I want to work in Human Services or Social Services, but have always been interested in criminal justice.. like a parole officer. When I say foot in the door I mean that it may open up federal positions for me in the future and give me experience in this field. But.. I'm not sure if that is the career path I want to follow.
    Anonymous

• Well, if that's your only option right now, then you should take it. $320 a month is better than $0 a month....
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If you know for a fact that your going to lose your job and have zero other options at the time...TAKE THE PAY CUT! it wouldnt make any sense for you to chose to sit at home in hopes of getting something else! Make money while you wait it out..it sucks..but its better than unemployment. Just because you get that job doesnt mean you cant leave when something better comes along!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I would stay at the 8$ a hour and pick up some kind of at home job :) iof your intrested in that lemme know i can help
    famedcheeze

Answer by famedcheeze at 1:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If you are currently unemployed, take the job and keep looking.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2010