How soon will I see results?

I started running/walking at least 2 miles + a day. How soon can I expect to see any kind of results, whether it be increased stamina, inches or lbs lost, increased energy, completing distance in a shorter time etc....?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 12:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Well I can only suggest you throw away your scale. Scales can lie to you, muscle weighs more than fat so you may appear to stay at the same weight or gain some. Look at how your clothes fit after they've been washed not after you've worn them a few times. They tend to get misshapen and stretched out when we wear them a few times and washing kind of gives you the ability to gauge where you are at in your fitness regime. I also believe that the other poster is probably right, 3 weeks is a good amount of time to give your body to start feeling rejuvenated. Be aware that once you get into this routine you may find it hard to sleep or even function without exercising that day and though you may feel sluggish before you do it you'll feel tons better afterwards! I hope all the responses you get, including this one, helps!
    thebatesfamily

Answer by thebatesfamily at 2:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I started working out at the gym 3-4 times a week on 1/4. At first I could only do the elliptical on level 1 for about 10 minutes. Then I'd get on the treadmill for 20 to do a good 30 minute cardio workout. Now its 6 weeks later, and I can do the elliptical on leve 5 for 45 minutes =) I am also doing weight watchers and have lost about 13 pounds, but sadly, don't see a huge difference in my body yet as far as toning goes....I have another 15lbs to go to be at my normal 6-8 size (I'm 5'8")....oh, and I also do about 15-20 minutes of weight training while at the gym also.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Oh, and it probably took me about 3 weeks before I noticed my energy level going up...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I agree with thebatesfamily as far as the scale. I'm trying to lose 10lbs and I have been weighing myself every day, and I must say that it is really screwing with my head! lol I took all my measurements and wrote them down and every week, I am going to take them again. I should probably wait at least 3 weeks, before I take them again, but as I am documenting everything I eat and working out every single day, I expect to see results quickly. So I think you should take your measurements and in 3-4 weeks and use that as your guide. As you gain muscle mass and lose body fat, the scale may not give you the numbers you want as muscle is denser than fat. Happy Exercising!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2010