couples counseling for 18 and 21 yr olds

daughter and boyfriend are having some issues and are looking for ideas for places to go that are inexpensive or take insurance. he cheated on her with someone who was her friend. She told daughter 1 yr later and he fessed up. He doesn't know why he went along with her when she said "just do it". Daughter feels the girl took it as a chalange when she told her to stay away from boyfriend.He feels like a a total jerk and feels that if they went for counseling it might make daughter feel better.He knows he was an ass and she wants to forgive him and marry him .She is more mad that he didn't tell he before this girl. She kind of knew something happened.I have seen a change in him .They have been going out for 2 years. My question is is there any place that has reduced fees for counseling that they could go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Some churches offer counseling for members. I used that service with my ex-husband...so I guess it wasn't that effective for us!

Anonymous

• I contacted our Baptist Association and they offer free counseling thru someone who was certified to do so. After finding this out, I got started in my classes and am soon to be finished. There are alot of resources out there.
    She is going to be mad because she did nto know. It "violated" her heart, mind, body and soul and no one told her the truth until now. I am sure she is mad and bitter and it will take a while for her to get over this but it can be overcome.
    Hope things work out for them.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Our church offers counseling at the church, as well as at some private practices where some members work - they paid all of our counseling, but it may have been on a sliding fee scale. If you attend church, it's worth a shot to give them a call.

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• There are usually places that charge on a sliding fee schedule, by what you earn. Try going to your local library and they should have some pamphlets about city or community services and it should be listed there.

Who knows why kind of counselor your daughter would get? My son has bipolar disorder and has been in the mental health system for 10 years. He only goes once every 3 months to make sure he is alive and to refill his meds. Every time his counselor has quit. They have a hard time getting anyone to work for those kind of places. We have lived in several cities and it's always the same.

You may be able to help her. Tell her people make mistakes. That was then, this is now. Why let something that was so brief that he is sorry ever happened mess up her whole life. He was young and stupid. She needs to really let go of it and put it behind her and have a happy life. Maybe have a ceremony to let go of it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I did it, I was 19, husband was 21.. It saved our relationship. We've been together since we were 17 and 19... Now we're 24, and 26. So it's worth every penny if you want it to work.

Don't settle for a church counselor, they're not educated the same in this field of psychology. ( not to say they're bad) If you want it to work see a real counselor.

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:13 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I do not think it is the education that matters in a counselor rather it be "from a church" or a highly overpaid person who paid for their education. I had rather have someone counsel me that "knows" what they are doing rather it be paid education. Given a "talent" and "know how" of helping others is more helpful and someone who has been through that or dealt with alot of people in the same situation. If you can find someone that can help, use the help rather it is free or $100 an hour.
    For me a free counselor helped me MORE than the paid freak.
    Anonymous

• Well let me tell you something else. They can go see a counselor im not saying thats a bad idea. it a good thing in matter of fact, but they have to help themself s as well , and work on what the counselor tells them as well. they just do not go there to listen and do nothing , like its a SHOW OF SOME KIND, GL ;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2010