Anyone get money from a car accident? How Much?

So I got hit while preg. (car was totaled) and got a lawyer...(never dealt with ins companies)...i was the only one hurt, my son was more moody and scared nothing physical. and SO was okay. But I have no idea how much to look for in the settlement. Ive heard people getting outrageous amounts of money...and im not even trying to think ill get all of that. But has anyone hired a lawyer and how much did you end up getting!? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are you suing the person or just going through insurance? If you are going through insurance it all depends on the policy that the other person has. We were hit by a drunk driver when I was 35 weeks pregnant. I went into labor and had my son early, he was in the nicu for 18 days. Other that that we were fine. In our state if you are injured it is no fault insurance, meaning your insurance covers the hospital. Our insurance covered up to 10,000 for me and my son and then it switched to our health insurance. We then got 8,000 for me from her insurance and 15,000 for my son, which is only for him to use when he gets older. We were kind of shocked that we didn't get more, with it being a drunk driver case and a child in the nicu. But it takes so long to settle and by then it was obvious that our son was going to be okay, thank goodness. We were told we could sue the driver personally but we figured her life was cont.
    Anonymous

• already so messed up that we would leave her alone. The state has ordered her to pay restitution money. Somehow they came up with $11,000 which she makes $100 payments every month. She is on probation until she pays it off.
    Anonymous

• OP:::WOW!! I havent told my lawyer if I want him to sue. They want to wait until my preg. is over. My back and shoulders are still really messed up but i cant see a chiro because in my town they wont touch you if your expecting! I was just so confused by the whole process..glad you and the baby are okay!
    Anonymous

• I was hit by a school bus... it caused minor damages to the trunk and the settled for $2500 giving me about $2000 after all was said and done. We didn't sue or go to a lawyer. I guess they were afraid we would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2010