Do you think I will be bored if I become a SAHM?

I have 2 school age children and am currently employed full-time. The stress of trying to get finished with my job in time to take them to after school activities, help them with homework, cook dinner, clean, has been getting to me lately and I find I am shirking many of my work responsibilites in order to handle family duties. I am always exhausted and never seem to have time to enjoy my family. I am considering quiting my job to be a SAHM in the hopes that I can focus on my family obligations without being overwhelmed, but some of my friends and family tell me I will be bored. Given my current household workload I doubt very much that is possible, so I'm hoping to get feedback from other SAHM's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• You sound exactly like me 3 years ago! I was pulling my hair out being at the office all day hurrying around on my lunch break and right afterwork, getting multiple personal calls per day from DH and kids. Dh and i started considering me quitting to stay home because i was a wreck, i was over worked, over tired, and just plain over trying to be super mom. Luckily the decision was made for me and several people in my department were laid off due to budget cuts.

I have not been bored at all being home, yes you do get caught up on housework and have free time but i use that time to focus on me or work on projects around the house i wouldnt otherwise be able to. My Dh says it has made a huge difference in me and my stress level is much lower, he says i am not as cranky lol. If you get bored then do what i did take a class go workout make lunch dates with your DH have coffee with friends, just take some time for you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'm never bored - there's always more to do! And you can definitely keep yourself busy - volunteer in your kids school, getting all the housework/shopping done before the afterschool rush so that at night you can just sit back and enjoy some family time. No, it doesn't get boring.

Answer by missanc at 1:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• maybe bored sometimes... but not always. you have kids and a house. which means youll have plenty of cleaning and unexpected surprises youll need to tend to. you could always find something part-time or volunteer work if you do become bored. if anything youll probably start feeling unappreciated bc people will act like you dont do all that much! that is what happened to me. good luck!
    Anonymous

• Some moms are bored, some aren't. It depends on the kind of person you are. I think it would be very easy to be a SAHM with 2 children that go to school and that there would be a lot of down time. I was a single mother and homeschooled 3, was a full time grad student (and got all As), was involved in scouts with my kids, my kids were involved in multiple sports, I did volunteer work, I had dogs, I had hobbies, and I still got bored sometimes. I don't know how I did it when I look back on it.

I was happy and my kids were happy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I've been at home for more than 36 years, and I have never been bored. Even now that the nest is empty, I never get caught up on the things that need to be done and that I want to do. I really think it depends a lot on the person and one's choice to enjoy life. I can be happy as a clam being at home all day by myself just scrubbing toilets and cooking dinner. One of the bonuses is knowing that if I want to go out, I have that option, as well. I love my life, and I don't think you will be at all bored, especially since you still have children who need supervision and transportation.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I have been at home and just have 2 high schoolers still at home and I never have time to get bored. There's always something that needs done around here. I don't even turn the TV on during the day, I don't have the time to watch it.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I've been a SAHM for just over 9 years and bored is not an adjective I can apply to my life.
    Anonymous

• I get less bored now as a SAHM than I was with my old full-time job. I think primarily because my brain doesn't like to focus on any one thing for too long

...and since I decide what task I'm working on instead of my boss, if I start to get bored, I can drop what I'm doing and switch to any of the other million things that needs to be done.

I do have issues with "cabin fever" sometimes (more in the winter), but my kids aren't old enough to be in school yet. You'll be out more than me, so I don't think that will be an issue for you.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i work full time too and i am in the process of saving money so i can sah next year. if you are a person with interests and hobbies it would be wonderful. also i think from working you could really appreciate being able to focus on your family. actually having the time to do everything well. i think if you get bored. get a hobby!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I dont get bored.....there is always too much for me to do.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2010