how do some moms deal with not being able to pick up their child?

I have back problems that causes me a lot of pain and was told by my doctor I am no longer able to pick up my son. I dont know how to deal with this

Carries1st

Asked by Carries1st at 1:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Health

• I have the same issue, I can pick up my daughter but not for any extended period of time.( I am pregnant and have 2 herniated disks in my back) I try to make sure I sit down with my daughter a lot. Take time to sit on the couch with him on your lap or even sit on the floor with him while he plays. That helps my daughter handle not being held so much.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• When I had this same issue due to a back injury I taught my son to climb. Of course he was already 9 months old., if yours is much younger this wouldn't help much. I would sit down and have him climb up next to me.. We could cuddle sitting. Sometiomes he would climb on my lap. It worked for both of us.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2010