what should I feed my 8 month old now that she is refusing to eat baby food. She wants finger foods but what kind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 8 months old ate whatever we were eating for supper, just cut up. Favorites were whole wheat pasta (twirls are easy to pick up), small cheese cubes (the commercially packaged ones were too big for my son at 8 months), green beans, peas, dry cereal, gerber snacks, diced steamed carrots and potatoes, quartered cherry tomatoes, pancakes, blueberries, diced pears, etc.

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My daughter loves pasta, I usually cook it a little longer for her so it is nice and soft. Also cut up fruits and veges. The easiest though is probably Gerber's line of toddler foods, they are great! My daughter loves the yogurt melts they make.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Babies never need baby cereal or jar food. Usual first foods are fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avacado. The baby can feed herself. She needs meat for the iron. She can have shredded chicken. You can put leftover steak in the fridge and when it's cold cut it into a pile of shavings of meat. My grandson loves this.

She can eat a variety of fruits, veggies, meats, and whole grains. She can have regular oatmeal or oat bran cereal. You want to stay away from 'junkier' foods people often feed babies like mac and cheese, hot dogs, fish sticks, french fries, fast food, ect. You can go to google and type in super foods. You will find lists of foods and these are the kinds of things you want to feed your baby.

You want to make sure your baby is lean and not overweight. Babies don't need juice and if they have it they should only have 4-6 oz a day. They should drink water with meals.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• HAD DA SAME PROBLEM WITH MY LIL GIRL ...GERBER MAKES FINGER FOODS LIKE CHETTOS PUFFS BUT THERE FOR BABYS WITH DIFFRENT FLAVORS THEY ARE GOOD CUZ THEY PICK THEM UP THEM SELFS AND THEY GET SOFT WHEN THEY PUT THEM IN THERIR MOUTH SHOULD BE NEXT TO THE GERBER
    delialayla

Answer by delialayla at 1:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Remember pasta is usually not whole grain. If you are getting it for baby look for the whole grain kind. Cheese should be limited or avoided. It can cause constipation and digestive problems. Yogurt may be ok, some experts say to wait until after 9 mo or a year. Babies don't need it.

Breastmilk should be your baby's main source of nutrition for the first year. If formula feeding it better than other foods you may be giving. Remember the whole first year is important for brain growth and what grows brains best is human milk. If formula feeding you need to make sure you give your baby great food for brain growth including foods rich in iron like meat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Steamed carrots.
    Green beans.
    Broccoli.
    Pasta.
    Sweet potatoes.
    Anonymous

• I give my almost 8 month old bits of whatever I am eating. As long as it is soft enough and small enough you can just put it on the tray and let them go for it. She likes little bits of chicken, steamed broccoli, banana, pasta, ground beef, etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Listen to everyone but Gaill. All the other advice is very good.
    Anonymous