Would you try to get pregnant at age 38?

I'm 38, just turned this past Sept. I am feeling in my heart that I want another child. I'm a little scared of starting over and of health problems for both me and baby being an older mother..... would you try? I have one little boy who is 8

1organicmom

Asked by 1organicmom at 1:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I had my last child at 39 almost 40, and although it was scary to start over again when my daughters were 11, and 10, I enjoyed my son much more than I did with my girls in my twenties. Go for it, it will make you feel young again! (not that I think you are old!)

Answer by older at 1:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Why not? I did! (I am getting ready to turn 44 and my baby is 9 months) If it is meant to happen it will. GL!!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I think if you're healthy, feel you're ready to do it again then I say why not! Make an appointment with your OBGYN, have a checkup and see what he/she suggests. GL, hope all goes well for you!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I would consider adoption first if you can afford it. If not, I would say consider it carefully, make sure you are ready to start over again physically and emotionally. If you believe you are I would talk to your doctor first and start taking prenatal vitamins BEFORE you get pregnant which can help avoid some defects common with increased maternal age. Also once you get pregnant make sure you start prenatal care right away and keep up with it through the end. Lastly, make sure you are prepared for a special needs child, just in case he or she is born with some defect or disability. Good luck! Hope everything works out for you!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Nope! but thats just me! too many risks.
    Anonymous

• As long as you are healthy I think you'll be fine. Not every mom who has a baby when she's older has complications-many of those complications are due to the mother's diet and so on. My mom had me at 38 and my dad was 47..She even smoked when she had me and I was fine! I think you should go for it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I say go for it. I am 37 and a first time mom to be.
    moy0911

Answer by moy0911 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• There is a possibility of having health problems at any age. Young women just assume everything is going to be fine.

Take prenatal vitamins or vitamins with extra folic acid for 3 months before trying to concieve. Your nutrition before conception is important for early development, when things can go very wrong.

Good luck!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I had my 2nd at 37, if you are in good health, I say do it! Absolutely. I think only the young moms will say you are too old. When I was younger I thought 27 was the perfect age for kids, turns out FOR ME, it was 35 and 37 and I truly wouldn't have it any other way. I know many many women who have had healthy babies at this age.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• yes I sure would
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 2:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010