WOuld you still get her a gift?

I have a neighbor who just had a baby. Its her first. We just recently started getting close and spending time together at the park. I want to get her a gift for her new baby so I asked her if she needed anything or if there was anything I could get for her that she really wanted. (I now see this was a mistake. I should never have asked her), but she doesnt have a registry and so I didnt want to get her something she already has or does not need and that was why I asked her. She insisted she doesnt really need anything and I do not have to get her anything. Now I feel so awkward getting her anything, but at the same time, I really want to help her out. We are not really close, so I am not sure how she would take it. What would you do in my position?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• diapers are always welcome
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Do you have kids? Do the kids know her? You could get her something and say that the kids wanted to get the new baby a present. Get the kids involved.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 1:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Things moms always need- DIAPERS AND WIPES no matter how much money you have or how much planning you do, your baby will always need diapers and wipes..you could get her one of those bath sets thats already prepackaged and just say its NOT FOR U! its for the BABY! lol.. tell people i dont need anything much, but the gesture is always appreciated!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Get her some bigger sized diapers and a pack of wipes. Everyone will have plyed her with newborn sized diapers and forgotten that babies grow so fast. Nothing big, nothing too personal, but still a thoughtful gift.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If your going to give her diapers I 'd make sure you know what kid she uses with the baby. My son's allergic to huggies so someone giving me them when he was a baby was pointless.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• You could make a meal and give it to her in a dish she could keep or a foil pan. Or, give her a gift card for somewhere that has delivery or carryout.

I was sick after my youngest was born and friend brought meals. Some of the things my kids didn't like. We were all excited to get a gift card for a pizza place.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice!
    Anonymous

• Get her an outfit for the baby in the next size, she may not need it now but she will be happy she got it.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 2:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Get her diapers and wipes or something like a gift card to a pizza place or something that will deliver. If you feel awkward about getting her a gift you could always say your kids wanted to get the new baby something.
    sophiasmommy212

Answer by sophiasmommy212 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• get her a keepsake. like the kits to make a print of the baby's foot or hand with a mounting... that is something no one needs but that is something very nice to have.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010